Smoking wild game?

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have some boneless skinless pheasant breasts and a lot of deer meat as well. Both if you are not careful can turn out dry and be a complete waste of meat. So i am wondering if any of you have cooked either and what did you do to prep it? I figured the pheasant can be treated like chicken breasts and i have found a few recipes for them but deer is another story. Its very lean meat so i though about wrapping it in bacon to give the meat some fat but i don't want to hide the taste of the deer by smothering it with a bacon flavor. What to do, what to do, oh what to do???

i just did pheasant about two weeks ago. We brined it over night and rubbed with McCormicks poultry seasoning. Grate temp was 225 and it only took 2.5-3 hours.

Only downside was being careful not to bite down on birdshot.

I am a newer fella here but I have cooked alot of wild game on grills and smokers.

Pheasant

One good technique with pheasant is to find a brine that you like. Maybe start with a 6-8 hour soak in a 1 to 10 canning salt to water ratio. I then like to add 1/2 the sugar as compared to the salt. So in this example my brine would have 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 10 cups of water. This is a pretty light brine but if you try it you can then do a few things with the pheasant breasts. You can always add more salt or take away in future attempts.

If you have brined skinless breasts

1) Grill them on a medium hot grill until done with your favorite rub
2) Smoke them at a lower temp with apple wood (225) and pull when meat reaches 165-170. Rest and then cool overnight in the fridge. Slice thin and serve with crackers for a killer appetizer.

If you have a whole skin on bird that is brined.

1) Indirect grill with some apple wood smoke at about 300 until done

2) Slow smoke with apple wood and rest and cool like above for appetizer meat.

If you have pheasant legs and or backs there are some tasty things you can do too. I usually skin my birds so the meat is skinless. This makes it dry if you don't try some things to keep it moist. I like to make a little pheasant hot tub with some chicken broth and butter in a foil pan. I like the liquid level in the pan so it would only 1/2 cover pheasant legs and or backs. I then smoke the pan with apple wood and flip the meat so both sides get a little smoke and cook until it is about 3/4 done. I then use this meat with some chicken broth and make one of the best pheasant/chicken noodle soups with a little smoked love in it.

Venison

When I try to explain cooking venison to someone that is new to it, I compare it to cooking cuts from a beef round. It is very lean and it needs some help to do it right. To me there are three ways to cook venison. 1. Grill hot and fast until medium rare. 2. Sear meat and then braise in flavorful liquid until falling apart. 3. Brining/curing and then smoking.

I think venison loin and tenderloin is best done with the hot and fast method until no more than medium rare medium. I like to put a little coat of olive oil and freshly crack corse pepper and sea salt to taste. When it hits 125, pull that baby off and let it rest for five minutes. You will have eating fit for a king.

I sometimes hot and fast grill other cuts too like steaks from the round or sirloin. I will often marinate these cuts in light soy, worchestershire, pepper, basil, garlic powder, honey or maple syrup, and a splash or two of bourbon. After a 2 hour marinade, pat dry and grill it up.

For larger venison roasts on the grill I like put a little canola oil on the outside and then put a rub on it then sear quickly over the coals. Then I like to give it a good smoke at about 250 or so until I get it to 150 or so internal. Then I like to foil it with a dark beer or beef broth or a good red wine and continue to cook until the meat reaches 195 or so. Then I like to rest it for 30 minutes to an hour and you will have some nice venison to pull apart just like the guys on this site do with beef chuck roasts. (Chuckies) The above method works on steaks too. It obviously just takes a little less time. Essentially the above recipe is just a Brethern's grill/smoker crazed version of Grandma's pot roast. :-D

The last method involves curing. Any boneless cut of venison can be cured with a product called Morton's tender quick if it is less than 4 inches thick. Check out some of the threads here on beef pastrami that the guys have done from scratch. The same thing can be done with venison with dry or liquid cures. When done right it can make some excellent corned venison. If you smoke this it can then become an really good pastrami. The process isn't difficult but it is beyond the scope of my space and time right now.

Good luck and I hope I gave you a few ideas

Grain Belt

I prefer grilling venison to smoking it as it can turn out dry like you said. If you don't want the bacon flavor, you might consider getting some salt pork instead and trying that. I've seen it used on turkey to keep it moist. They had to remove it before the end to get it to brown though.

Butter is always an option too.:-D I remember cooking a whole leg once on a spit over a campfire back in scouts. All we did was baste it with melted butter from time to time. It was pretty good if I remember correctly. I think this method would work better on a rotisserie than in a smoker.

Of course this is going to depend on what cuts you are working with as well.

I forgot to add some ideas if you have ground venison or if you want to grind some of what you have.

I make many recipes by combining ground pork shoulder with ground venison. I usually mix on a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 pork to venison ratio. If making burgers I usually mix Season-All, garlic, and pepper into the meat and then make patties.

For meatloaf and meatballs I often do the same as above but add bread crumbs, parmesean cheese, and eggs.

I make a really good smoked meatloaf on the weber with pork and venison. In fact I smoked one up last night using a little cherry wood.

Grain Belt

Pheasant- What's a pheasant?

Venison- could use fat back instead of bacon. Cut into small cubes or slice off a thin sheet using a mandolin or cheese cutter and place on top of the meat. Although I did a venison roast using bacon before and didn't get much a bacony taste from the bacon I used... guess it depends on the bacon.

Thank you all so much for the help. I can't tell you how much i appreciate it!!!

Holy Crap!! Thnaks so much. I have a lot of deer meat in the freezer that i plan on smoking this summer. Thanks a lot Cowgirl!

Back