Unthawing 3 Packs of BB

Wornslick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi Brethren, I recently got a good deal on some Baby Back ribs that came in a cry-o-vac package, 3 slab's per package, frozen.

What is the best way to separate them while they are still frozen? I thought about unthawing them until I could separate them and then putting the unused ones back in the freezer. Would that work, or are there other ways?

I know cooking all 3 are an option but I am trying to avoid that.

Yep, you're pretty much stuck with thawing them a little in order to get them apart, but putting what you don't use back in the freezer right away will be okay.

KC

Put them under running water until you can break them apart, and then freeze what you aren't going to thaw completely. The running water will thaw the outside very quickly allowing them to come apart without thawing the inside like if you just put them in the fridge.

Large flathead Screwdriver & a Hammer. I'm being serious. Just drive it in between the slabs and give a twist they will pop apart.

If you're going through the trouble to setup and smoke one or two racks, just do all 3 and freeze whatever you don't eat, it's surprisingly good as long as you thaw it first, and reheat it slowly. (vacuum packed works well)

Back