Butt & Brisket on UDS?

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Having the Wife's herd over on Saturday for an Easter gathering and am planing to cook a full packer and a butt (h-n-f) on my UDS at the same time.

I'm used to cooking one or the other, but not both at the same time. Should I offset the brisket and the butt (one top rack one bottom) or just lay the brisket on the top rack over the butt on the bottom and let 'er go?

What should I expect time wise, should I expect to add an hour? (The bone will twist in the butt and the brisket will be probe tenter.)

My normal plan would be 325º/8hour range.

Oh yah, going to do some hot tub chicken on the weber so no one goes hungry.

Thanks

Could you fit it on one rack? I did 3 butts and 2 racks of ribs a few months ago. Butts around outside and racks in middle.

There are many versions of hot tub chicken... use the search function and you'll find many...

My version is some EVOO in the bottom of a foil pan, cop some garlic and onions, stir in some brown mustard and vinegar - Mix.

Put your chicken pieces in (I use thighs), cut a tablespoon sized butter pad and place on each pice of chicken. Spice to your liking.

Place pan over direct heat so it burbles pretty good for 1/2 hour. Remove chicken pieces and place on direct heat, turning frequently for 15 minutes.

Good stuff!

I do both on one rack yall the time at home and at competition
interesting. Are we talking a whole packers or just a flat?

I suppose you could get a small whole packed and a large butt on it. Cook 'em and wrap 'em. I would do them over night, so they get a nice long rest (wrapped) in the oven and then put them back on the smoker just before the party arrives to firm the bark back up.

You've all convinced me I can get them on one rack... but what about cook time.

With that much meat on the smoker do I need to plan on more cook time? Or is 325 just 325, plan you timing like you were cooking one meat?

Thanks again.

You've all convinced me I can get them on one rack... but what about cook time.

With that much meat on the smoker do I need to plan on more cook time? Or is 325 just 325, plan you timing like you were cooking one meat?

Thanks again.

Not unless your double stacking them..:becky: I wouldn't think so. I built my last UDS with 2 racks and honestly have only used both racks ONCE and that was when baked beans were on the top rack. But I now have a second UDS I use for beans and pizzas so I have no idea how much use my bottom rack will get anymore.

Back