BBQ Scores Competition Team Survey

is this the thread where I complain about the questions?

Asking for a friend.

I completed it. This was a better survey than the previous one. There were still a few questions that may lead to false conclusions, but most were pretty clean.

As an example, the question that asked "Do you like to compete in ancillaries and people's choice?" offered only a yes or no response, which is too much of a simplification of a complex situation.

For myself, whether or not I decide to participate in extra categories at an event depends on many factors, including the entry cost, whether or not the key ingredient is provided, prize payouts, turn-in times, structure of the PC (onsite sampling or central tent), relationship with the organizer, etc. etc. Trying to capture my position on all this with a simple yes/no question can only lead to results that are misleading.

On the other hand, there were some excellent questions that require factual responses like "Which states do you compete in?" that should yield very reliable data. On the whole, I think this survey was a good effort.

Done! Good job Stan! We never do sides...but have been known to do a Friday Night Steak on occasion...:cool: So we would be in on that one...:thumb:

I completed it. This was a better survey than the previous one. There were still a few questions that may lead to false conclusions, but most were pretty clean.

As an example, the question that asked "Do you like to compete in ancillaries and people's choice?" offered only a yes or no response, which is too much of a simplification of a complex situation.

For myself, whether or not I decide to participate in extra categories at an event depends on many factors, including the entry cost, whether or not the key ingredient is provided, prize payouts, turn-in times, structure of the PC (onsite sampling or central tent), relationship with the organizer, etc. etc. Trying to capture my position on all this with a simple yes/no question can only lead to results that are misleading.

On the other hand, there were some excellent questions that require factual responses like "Which states do you compete in?" that should yield very reliable data. On the whole, I think this survey was a good effort.

This question, in general I think can still lead to good responses. For example, it sounds like you do "like to compete" in these categories, but don't always do so, for varying reasons. If the majority do, then I think that would give organizers the insight to offer them at more comps, and as time went on, and they receive feedback from competitors at their comps, they will improve that category. The ins and outs of when/where you do so can be complicated, but whether you like to or not may not be as complicated.

I think where it may be vague is the combination of the 2 categories, and the difference in what makes those up. We like Friday evening extras, and like to do sausage, and sometimes sides, but we don't like desert. To us, it's an insane amount of work, and effort, and generally we feel more upset about that category than any of the others when we do poorly (this includes the normal categories). Therefore, I don't like desert, but give me a chicken wing, sausage or PC category, and we're generally going to enter it and have a good time.

Back