Turkey rub

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to dry brine my bird this year with a butter/rub mixture under and over the skin. Can anyone recommend a good, readily available seasoning mix?

I have never used these before, but I am brining my bird with Oakridge BBQ's Game Changer brine, then rubbing with their Game Bird and Chicken rub with a little Habanero Death Dust thrown in for good measure.

But that is no help to you unless you have someone who sells Oakridge products local to you.

I'm going to dry brine my bird this year with a butter/rub mixture under and over the skin. Can anyone recommend a good, readily available seasoning mix?

So you're doing a rub & butter mixture and you're looking for a seasoning in addition to that?

Honestly, that's all I ever do is chop up a bunch of rosemary, thyme and sage, mix it with salt & pepper and melted butter and rub that all over and truss it up.

I used olive oil, poultry seasoning, black pepper and sazon (goya product) for color on my turkey last weekend on the PBC pecan wood and it was delicious.

Normally I use butter and poultry seasoning, maybe adding some sage when making it in the oven. Each time it comes out great.

Here is meathead's turkey rub from the amazing ribs website. I keep of shaker of it handy for poultry. I like it. The reason it has no salt is because salt is not really needed on a brined turkey. for unbrined poultry I sprinkle with kosher salt and then use this rub. Tis make about 1/4 cup.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley
2 tablespoons dried crushed sage
1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary
1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
1 tablespoon dried crushed basil
1 tablespoon dried crushed bay leaf
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar

Measure everything and dump it into a blender. Put the lid on the blender (very important), and run it on medium for a few seconds, turn it off, and run it again. Continue pulsing about until you have a powder. Dump the whole thing in a jar and label it.

So you're doing a rub & butter mixture and you're looking for a seasoning in addition to that?

Honestly, that's all I ever do is chop up a bunch of rosemary, thyme and sage, mix it with salt & pepper and melted butter and rub that all over and truss it up.

I was using seasoning mix and rub interchangeably. Sorry for the confusion.

I used olive oil, poultry seasoning, black pepper and sazon (goya product) for color on my turkey last weekend on the PBC pecan wood and it was delicious.

Normally I use butter and poultry seasoning, maybe adding some sage when making it in the oven. Each time it comes out great.

So poultry seasoning with S&P it is. Any thought about adding a little smoked paprika to the mix that goes on the skin?

Thanks for your replies.

Back