logo

Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

Just finished up a 30 Gal UDS build for the kids. They love their Minions

10995983_10152854707571989_809147902577242648_n.jpg

11138639_10152854707321989_4339920956481121132_n.jpg

Went through the entire thread, and made a bunch of notes on the features I want to use when I start mine. Thanks for all the pictures, they make it easy.

Might as well throw mine in here. This is my first kick at the cat and i am sure that the next one will have some improvements. Right now I have a fire basket for hot smoking and a hot plate for cold (colder) smoking. My bambi sausages like right around 150.

My intention in days to come is to build a smoke generator for true cold smoking.

IMG_20150528_191440_zpskd2zor4s.jpg

Here are three that I have made. The all black one was about 6 years ago. It was aproject that my Late father and I worked on before he passed.

The "Operation BBQ Relief" one is a project my wife and I worked on as a chairity auction item for The Friends of OBR fundraiser in Louisville KY back in Febuary. I sold for $1000.00.

The red and black one was also a husband and wife project and I it went to a handicap friend of mine that has a love for BBQ.

Last edited:
Building a UDS

So I found this barrel in really good shape for free. It has a lid that is clamped on and the guy wouldn't open it for me. Is this a good drum for a smoker?barrel.jpg

Had some Ferrari Red left over ...what better use than my new UDS.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 736
2nd UDS and wanted a smaller one for camping. Got a new unlined drum, drilled all my holes, used a torch, and then wire brushed it with a grinder. Went with 4 3\4" holes and one ball valve. Splurged and bought weber handles and 3 exhaust vents kit for a WSM. Used lamp rod for a thermo port. Weber charcoal grate and expanded metal for the basket with pizza tray ash catcher. And adjustable shelving racks. Semi gloss high heat paint and high heat clear coat. Need to season it then I'll be ready for action.

20150225_133802_zpss2abi3pu.jpg

20150225_133940_zps3wfavj13.jpg

i like what you used to hold the racks up, how has it held up over time with the heat?

i came across these 2 beauties the other day. guess i know what i am doing this wekend. one will be a traditional upright UDS and i have something formulating for the other one.

Attachments

• drums.jpg
    drums.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 575
Horizontal version UDS pr0n hvy

So far I'm quite happy with how this prototype works.

One intake on each side

Easy ash removal

smaller upper rack for when required

Last edited:
I am in the middle of my build... 55 gal drum and I am using 22.5 weber lid. The issue is that the lid is just a little too small, like and 1/8 of an inch.

I have seen the steel strap bolted to the inside or the rope mod but i want to just grind off a little bit off the top of the barrel. Anyone see an issue with this? Seems like the most logical to me

Back