• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Phubar's WGA Phried Chicken Drums Pron...Gore Style

Phubar

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...for Gore and PhamilyManBBQ...

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

It turned quite good I must say,I think I know now how the batter should be.
Phirst attempt that I did was almost good,the batter could've been a bit thicker.

The 2nd attempt (last saturday,didn't post it) the batter was too thick to my liking.

This experiment worked better on the WGA instead of the mini UDS...there was too much direct heat in the mini.
I had all vents open during the cook.

Also made a mistake by glazing the drums with olive oil,I wanted to make it shiney but instead it softend up the crispyness.

Last edited:
These look Phubalicious :)
What ingredients (and amounts) went into the batter ?

Great attempt.

From a "traditional" Fried Chicken standpoint, have you tried doing it but without a batter, but a coating? Something as simple as coat lightly in buttermilk, then dredge it lightly in flour then cook?

SO many ways to do FC. Probably as big a category as BBQ.

Wow Phu that looks perfect. Yes if you or Gore would kindly share the batter recipe or ball park measurements I'd be grateful! I'm glad Gore started this because its become one my favorite things to cook. You nailed the batter on this one :thumb:

These look Phubalicious :)
What ingredients (and amounts) went into the batter ?

Phorgot to say what ingredients went into the batter:egg,milk,flour,dried oregano,dried basil,salt,pepper.

Wow Phu that looks perfect. Yes if you or Gore would kindly share the batter recipe or ball park measurements I'd be grateful! I'm glad Gore started this because its become one my favorite things to cook. You nailed the batter on this one :thumb:

I'll try!:becky:
Like you I did just what Gore said in his thread.:thumb:
This is gonna be one of my Phavorites too Al...I mean,this is 3rd time I made this recipe within a week!:becky:

Great attempt.

From a "traditional" Fried Chicken standpoint, have you tried doing it but without a batter, but a coating? Something as simple as coat lightly in buttermilk, then dredge it lightly in flour then cook?

True...
I haven't tried that before.
Noskos posted a link in my thread on the Dutch Brethren forum today: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=20830

Phubar, that looks absolutely fantastic. It actually looks very much like what I did, only better. Just want everyone to see how wonderfully juicy that chicken is within that crispy crust.
IMG_2940.jpg

It really is perfect. I don't know if you took the temp, but mine was over 200* and still juicy like that when normal grilled chicken would've been dried out. I'm surprised the olive oil didn't work for you. Was this done at the end of the cook? I brushed mine with butter about halfway through and it crisped up nicely. This is now my daughter's favorite BBQ chicken.

I've tried the dredging before, but the flour does not integrate the same as when it is fried. I ended up with a coating of cooked flour on the outside of the batter. I imagine if you coated this again in oil or butter it might work, but the batter worked much better.

Really? I didn't think that was possible. What temp did you bring it to?

My thermo read 200 when I checked it. But I may need to recalibrate it. It's an analog one. Santa didn't bring me a thermapen. It wasn't super dry but it wasn't juicy like my previous batches. I put it on the kettle and kind of forgot to check it while doing other things so it is probably my fault.

Phu!! That looks freakin' awesome!! We will definitely be following your lead...gonna have to try this again on the WGA!! May try a "homemade" batter as you did...used a pre-packaged mix the first time we tried this.

"Chicken Legs" are a big hit in the FamilyMan house...yours would have been VERY well received!! :becky: Great post! :thumb:

@Gore:I didn't check the internal temp but it looks very similair to my smoked chicken on the inside.
I think the olive oil soaked up into the allready crispy batter,It didn't turn all soaky on me but I felt that it was getting a bit softer.
I'll try the melted butter next to the olive oil next time.

Look what you did to some Dutch Brethren...

http://www.bbqforum.nl/forum/showthread.php?8809-Dirk-s-self-frying-chicken-batter-experiment.

http://www.bbqforum.nl/forum/showthread.php?8872-Skaaffies-poging-voor-Phried-chicken-on-the-Q

:thumb:

This attempt looks awesome too Phu! When you finally nail it and it is just right, give me some warning so I can get a bib before I open the thread!:thumb:

Back