• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

When to inject?

cardiac_cadet002

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know I'm prolly opening up a door here, but when is the best time to inject? I have 2 butts I prepped tonight. One I am trying the marinade in A&w root beer and the 2nd I slathered in mustard and used a rub. I have an injection of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice. What does everyone recommend, inject tonight or on the morning when I put them on the smoker?

I always like to give it at least a few hours to allow the injection to distribute nicely. Often I will flip the meat or massage with hands occasionally to expedite this.

Doing it the night before is an option but it would depend on what the injection is made of. I would avoid the night before with a high salt content. Your 50/50 combo should be OK. Hopefully injecting after you've applied slather and rub won't make a mess of the rub coating. Might need to lightly re-coat again.

I injected my last butt the night before and got really good results.

I've injected the night before and re-injected with what has leaked out just before the meat hits the grates.

I don't think it makes a difference.

Ditto.

I've tried it both ways and couldn't tell a difference.

But that's just me.

Try it both ways and see which one you like best.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here.

It boils down to personal preference IMHO.

I always give it the injection (AJ, JD, brown sugar, etc.) the night before along with a heavy rub. Sometimes I'll turn it over, sometimes not. Seems to turn out O.K., just my $0.02 worth:grin:.

I've never used an injection with a butt, but would probably inject the night before if just usuing apple products. When I cook butts, I turn them about halfway through.
Let us know what you did and how it turned out...

As Soon as camp is set up only followed by my brisket prep. turned and moved to help transfer the flluids..It is up to you and your injection. good luck

I injected last night and everything came out great taste wise. Next time I'll try just before throwing them on to smoke and see how they do.

I always give it the injection (AJ, JD, brown sugar, etc.) the night before along with a heavy rub. Sometimes I'll turn it over, sometimes not. Seems to turn out O.K., just my $0.02 worth:grin:.

would you mind giving me the amounts of AJ, JD, brown sugar you use? sounds like a good injection.

I have not had a chance to try it yet, but Pop's smoking hot que has started injecting while in the original plastic and letting it sit overnite or so. He injected with Blue's hog (straining mod) and the people he cooked it for said it was pretty good.

would you mind giving me the amounts of AJ, JD, brown sugar you use? sounds like a good injection.

Well, for a pork butt I usually go with about a 2 to 1 mix of AJ to the Jack. Before putting the JD in, I heat about 1/2 of the AJ to a high simmer, toss in a couple of tablespoons of the brown sugar, stir until dissolved, remove from heat, then add the other 1/2 of AJ & the Jack. Then set it outside or in the fridge until the temp drops to around the temp of the butt.
I realize that this isn't much help, but I really don't measure things that closely. After you get all of the stuff mixed up, give it a taste & adjust it for your self, maybe add some heat, more sweet, or whatever:biggrin:. Good luck & good eats,

I usually inject and rub the night before then wrap tight in plastic the night before.

I agree on it doesnt make a difference..at least I havent noticed. Night before or 30 mins before it goes on. Actually now I rarely inject,just rub it and throw it on.

If I'm injecting, it's the night/morning before thru the cryo and then back in the fridge. I will mustard slather and rub the next morning/night about an hour before it goes in the pit.

Back