logo

Prime Brisket and some ribs

How do to you keep the bark intact like that when slicing? The bark always comes off for me when slicing

$2.99/lb looks like a good price on that brisket. Around here it's closer to $6-$7, and that's for choice, not prime.

How do to you keep the bark intact like that when slicing? The bark always comes off for me when slicing

I have never had a problem with the bark coming off. I only use a light coating of olive oil then seasoned with salt and pepper. Wrapped in butcher paper after it got a nice color.

Nice looking grub. I am sure your guests were happy.

I will ask about the brisket slicing. It appears really thick. Did you do that on purpose? Not a complaint, and certainly not "wrong". Just asking.

It helps to trim down the fat cap a bit more if the bark comes off. Often when Ive had that problem it has been because my fat layer was too thick, which caused it to walk around and tear off while slicing. Your knife and technique can also play a part. It helps if you have sharp, long knife, and use one long slicing stroke to get through the bark on the first slice helps. You can "saw" after that initial slice, but try to get through the bark on the first long knife stroke.

I use a straight blade, but other have had success with serrated.

$2.99/lb looks like a good price on that brisket. Around here it's closer to $6-$7, and that's for choice, not prime.

Does the brisket come trimmed? The costco one is not trimmed. I did a 11lb brisket and lost more than 2 lbs on trimming.

Nice looking grub. I am sure your guests were happy.

I will ask about the brisket slicing. It appears really thick. Did you do that on purpose? Not a complaint, and certainly not "wrong". Just asking.

Not on purpose, got a new knife and just cut a bit too thick. Ended up working well for the chili though.

Costco briskets are great. They offer the best bang for the buck where I live.

Back