Do you (and other who have it) find it that much easier than a regular chimney? I feel I've been having trouble spreading the lit coals out and have to rumage around with my hand (in gloves of course) both after dumping and like 4 hours into a cook to make sure all the coal get used

it just fits in the barrel easier, and it's pretty much is a failsafe for having to count coals. fill it to the top, and it is pretty much the perfect amount needed IMO. it's a small price to pay for convenience. they are like $10, but it's not absolutely necessary.

I agree with luberconn - the smaller sizes just work better in the diameter of the PBC. I have the small Weber and use it some, but I like the PBC version. I can use another chimney and get good results, but I have to flip it upside down just right and I might have to use some tongs to grab a few coals and re-position them. I haven't had to do that with the PBC chimney. I recommend it, but you don't need to run out and buy it. Not a must-have, but nice to have!

I think I'm going to try BigKing's idea of keeping the coal basket outside and if I don't like that I either buy the PBS chimney or try cutting my current one down some see how that works.

Hello all. I haven't stopped my in a while since going into my winter hibernation. I fired up the PBC for the first time this year to do some baby backs. Good gawd did I miss firing that thing up! Turned out some PERFECT ribs. Didn't get any pics tho. I'll get some on my next cook for sure.

I do have a confession. I picked up a Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault so I feel like I'm cheating on the PBC a lil bit. Not to worry tho! The PBC is my TRUE love!!

Hope everyone is doin well. I see Andy, SSV and the rest of the PBC Brethren are representing! Glad to see that this thread is still going strong!!

I think I'm going to try BigKing's idea of keeping the coal basket outside and if I don't like that I either buy the PBS chimney or try cutting my current one down some see how that works.

This is what I do as I have the large weber chimney. I have no issue with doing it this way and after dumping the coils I either pick it up with my glove on or use a pair of old channel locks

I've finally added a PBC to the fleet, gonna bring it down to the cottage this weekend for its inagural cook! I picked up a little 6lb brisket point to throw on there Saturday morning. Can't wait!

Welcome to the Brethren and to the PBC club. Glad to have you aboard!

I've finally added a PBC to the fleet, gonna bring it down to the cottage this weekend for its inagural cook! I picked up a little 6lb brisket point to throw on there Saturday morning. Can't wait!

You won't be disappointed. Can't wait to see the pron!

You fire up that PBC with the new chimney yet fleihr?

I have been a big wimp with the wind chill in the single digits here lol but this weekend supposed to be better so hopefully I will get it fired up. I have some Oakridge Ja love Jerk seasoning and some Habanero Death Dust that should be here today or tomorrow so cant wait to try it out

I have been a big wimp with the wind chill in the single digits here lol but this weekend supposed to be better so hopefully I will get it fired up. I have some Oakridge Ja love Jerk seasoning and some Habanero Death Dust that should be here today or tomorrow so cant wait to try it out

I just got an Oakridge sample pack last week and did Wings with the HDD last night. A little goes a long way! Loved it and can't wait to try the Jah Love either. Got a whole clucker in the fridge waiting for good weather this weekend!

Still loving this thing!

Got caught in the stall on a butt over the weekend. Hit 195 maybe 5 minutes before I had to leave for a Kings game. I've only held a butt for maybe an hour or so but I went for it since I didn't have time to screw around with it.

Wound up being a five hour hold. Best butt I've made yet. When you get results like this, it makes you want to use the PBC every weekend.

First of all....GO KINGS!

Second....curious how big was your butt and how long did it take total? Only done ribs and chicken on the pbc so far....looking to do a butt soon. Wasn't sure you still get a big stall effect cooking on the pbc.

First of all....GO KINGS!

Second....curious how big was your butt and how long did it take total? Only done ribs and chicken on the pbc so far....looking to do a butt soon. Wasn't sure you still get a big stall effect cooking on the pbc.

I've done 3 butts now ranging from 5lbs to 9lbs and theyy are pretty consistently 6 hours. I hit a stall last time I did one but it was a pretty windy day and I think it was more due to inconsistent temps from the wind. I've done brisket full and just flat and both definitely stalled on me

but if i hit a stall i don't do anything - just ignore it right?

You can ignore it and let it push through. Or you can wrap your butt in foil at 165° internal or when it stalls. If it stalls it'll be pretty close to 165° anyway. It'll speed up the cook time and push through the stall faster.

but if i hit a stall i don't do anything - just ignore it right?

Definitely let it ride or wrap in butcher paper or foil. I made the mistake of not walking away and it only took longer. It's true "if you're looking you ain't cooking"

Back