Temperature

Tresselhog

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to smoking BBQ and just cant seem to get the temperature thing down.
I have a craigslist weber smoker about 16.5" wide, coal pan and water pan (3" full), previous owner modified with a dial type vent on top. its a little windy today and cooler (50) using lump charcoal, 6 racks pork on top 2 racks directly underneath. 1 probe between for oven temp reeds 185-215 3hours 2nd probe in thick reads 149. vent open, vent closed, door propped, door closed, more charcoal, less charcoal, nothing stokes the fire. with all this said if I continue and my ribs reach 160-170 are they edible?

Best advice is to use a piece of plywood and make a wind break so the wind isn't blowing directly on your pit.

As far as temps, yes they will be safe to eat, but far from good eating. They need to be around 202-205* for a decent meal.

Ditch the Lump and get Stubbs or Kingsford Comp or R/O briquettes.

50 degrees and windy and water pan. As suggested, block the wind, lose the water (go with foiled pan) and maybe pack the lump tight if you are going with that.

None of this (except the wind block) will be of much help to you on this cook- sorry about that. IF you still can't get temp up, finish in your kitchen oven- no shame in that. Come out strong next cook.

You did not indicate how many times you had cooked on your WMS. If brand new to it, I'd go for maybe a fatty on the next cook just to figure how how she wants to run. They all seem to be a bit different.

Good luck

Back