Brisket from Britain!

EatLikeAGirl

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Afternoon all!

The sun is finally out in London, so I have a 6kg (13lb) brisket on the smoker. Started at 5am so he's been on for nine hours.

Pit temp has been a remarkably consistent 120C (248F), internal temp is 74C (165F) but I've hit that dreaded stall. He was at 77C (170F) but has dropped a little. I've read they can decrease a few degrees during the stall, so I'm trying not to panic.... yet!

This is my first ever brisket, so please feel free to sling hints and tips my way! Will add more photos once he's finished!

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 318
It will tend to drop in temperature when it hits the stall. Not a big deal at all. Looking good so far

Enjoy! Looks like you've got a nice rig there. Pit Gangstas BBQ of Manchester proudly boasts that they've got the only commercial Gator Pit Rig in the U.K. I figure no harm if you were to connect with them for tips and secrets for bbq in the U.K.

Thanks all!

The stall lasted about 4 hours and he's now creeping up again. Currently 80C (176F) so still quite a way to go. Nearly at 12 hours, so he's taking longer than I thought.

Or would the total cooking time be minus stall? So technically I'm only on 8 hours of cooking?

Not planning on wrapping (Texas crunch?), was going to take off the BBQ at 95C (203F), wrap in greaseproof/parchment paper, and leave to sit for at least an hour.

I heard wrapping destroyed the bark with the humidity...

Personally, I would wrap at about 160F and keep on until about 195F but if that's how you like it, then all power to you. Looks good anyways :)

Non wrapper here. I prefer the bark when non wrapped. Looking great!

I think I was too eager to say the stall had ended, he's not changed temp in two hours. Still at 80C (176). It's my first so I'm not sure about probe tender, would it be a 'hot knife through butter' type resistance?

Should my pit be hotter than 120C (248F)?

Yes like a hot knife thru butter. Your pit temp is fine, it will power thru eventually. When you insert your prob you should have no resistance.

I shifted the probe and got to 88C (190F), even there I needed a fair bit of muscle to push it in, so he's not done on either temperature or tender rules!

The stall can be sped up or ignored, but it cannot be avoided :becky:. Don't worry, It's done when it's done. No problems that I can see. Looks great.

After 18 hours I'm done, and I think the brisket is too! He didn't get above 90C (194F) at any point, despite me probing all over and increasing the pit temperature to 140C (284F) for the last 90 minutes.

Most parts were very tender when the probe went in, with a few areas not so much.

I've also realised I have NO idea how to slice this thing. I can't tell which side is the fat side, nor where the line between flat and point is!

I hacked off enough to eat and will deal with the rest in the morning.

Thank you for all your support and advice, really appreciated!

Rachel x

Attachments

• IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 90
Separate the point and flat, just by lifting the point by hand, it will separate at the fat line, with a little help from a knife. This is done easily while it is still hot. Slice across the grain. Looks good to me!!

Not bad at all for a first brisket! From what you indicated I believe it was pulled when still a bit underdone....probably needed a few more degrees and then it would have probed well everywhere. Most people insert the temperature probe into the thickest part of the flat on the assumption that when the flat reaches the desired temperature (and this is confirmed by probing the area), the point will be just fine at whatever temperature it happens to be, as it is the more forgiving portion of the full packer.

Youtube has many videos on how to slice a finished brisket: look up the Aaron Franklin one dealing with this subject.

I'm sorry, I realised I never posted a reply following the slicing comments. I think I managed it... but it was a bit of a hack job in the end!

I've since spoken to my butcher, and apparently there is a difference between grain and grass fed cows. I've not investigated any science behind this, but my brisket was from a pure grass fed Hereford, which I only needed to take to 90C (194F).

I'm not sure if anyone has any experience or recommendations for cooking variations based on breed and feeding of the original animal, but it's something I'd be interested to read more about if it's out there...

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew! Or a commercial brew if that's what's available. It'll be done when it's done.

Back