• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reusing dipping sauce

Artsyvision

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Tried to find if this was already asked, but didn't see anything. If I have a finishing sauce that I dip my cooked chicken into, can I save that for another use? Seems such a waste to throw it away and the chicken is cooked, not raw.

No, you once food touches it, it should be tossed.

Now, at home, maybe I do, maybe I don't. But, in a restaurant situation, the rules say toss it.

Any way you can brush the sauce on instead? That would prevent contamination (Yes, I know the chicken is cooked, but...) and larger batches of sauce could just be put in smaller containers for application as needed.

I would think brushing it on would cause the same issue as the brush contacts the meat and the sauce

I would put it in a squeeze bottle or pour it on then use the brush to spread it like with bbq sauce

I would think brushing it on would cause the same issue as the brush contacts the meat and the sauce

I would put it in a squeeze bottle or pour it on then use the brush to spread it like with bbq sauce

Even better idea. I was thinking of just using a cup measure for the brushing.

Once you remove the sauce from the refrigerator or storage container, and anything touches it, food or utensil, it is not allowed to be reused, stored again or put back into the container from whence it came. If it sits out at ambient temperature (above 40°F), it is considered used. Hence, many places will use squeeze bottles in ice baths, squirt and brush...

This is at home use, not a restaurant...more for practicing for competitions. I kinda figured that would be the answer, better to be safe. I'll have to try the brush and squeeze bottle. I like the way the dipping looks though, no brush marks and a nice even coat.

Use the smallest container you can dip in, that will minimize your waste. Top it off as necessary.

Back