225F for pork ribs is the magic number !

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hello BBQ Fellows,
I would like to share with you my impressions about the liaison between moistness and cooking T for pork ribs.
First of all:
1) my cooking method is obviously the same. 3 phases, smoking, foil and drying.
2) my cooking T are super steady. 250F or the new discover (for me) 225F.
3) not the same animal but the same small butcher in the last months.

In the last 2 years I used to cook my StL pork ribs at 250F and 98% of the times my ribs ended dry. Tasty, great bark, sometimes underdone, sometimes perfect. rarely over done. But almost never I was able to feel meat moistness in my mouth. what I mean is liquid in my mouth. Maybe a mix between water and melted fat, but really liquid.

Now I changed cooking T, reducing it to 225F.
This caused longer cooking time. 3 hours smoking, 1,5 - 2 hours in foil, 1 hour drying (still studiing).
And moistness exploded in my mouth.
my last 2 cooks ended in the same way (the second was overdone): super moist.
I keep on cooking at 225F and I'll keep you informed.

wich is your opinion ??

I believe that they can be cooked at a higher temp with success, but 225 probably gives you are larger window of doneness to pull them. Basically makes cooking more foolproof. Once you get the feel down of what's done and still tender, I believe you can crank it up and still get the great product. I like to tinker, so my cooks are all over the place. It's fun to try new things.

I usually do pork spare ribs at 250* for about 5 hours, not wrapped. At 225*, might take another hour....not that bad. I do, however, pick out 6-7 lb spares that tend to have more fat and do not trim. They always seem to come out super juicy. Fat rules!

I believe that they can be cooked at a higher temp with success, but 225 probably gives you are larger window of doneness to pull them. Basically makes cooking more foolproof. Once you get the feel down of what's done and still tender, I believe you can crank it up and still get the great product. I like to tinker, so my cooks are all over the place. It's fun to try new things.
If you have the time to wait, it's a question of " Do I have enough beer or wine to last the cook?" If you do, great. If not, you have time to run out to get more before checking the meat.
If you don't have the time to wait, you have to hover over things to check the ribs for done ness. Higher proof liquor is then needed to offset the stress.

I'm at anywhere from 300* to 550* on the rotisserie for the best ribs for me. I know ...quite the range I know but honestly it just doesn't matter for spinning or for when I grate cook them.

300* is the perfect temp for ribs

DSCF0202.jpg

Higher temps + foil makes it really easy to over cook the ribs and then dry them out using the 3-2-1 method or some version of it.....I'm generally in the 275-325 and no wrap camp when it comes to ribs.

250-275 for me.

Temperature isn't as important to me as when I take it off the heat. The window to get it right shrinks as I go higher in temp, but the lower temps also require me to watch moisture more carefully (wrap and rest).

I've gone hot (300+) and low (225) and my wheel well lands in the middle.

I also think your cooker plays a significant factor. My Rec Tec produced the best product in the 225-250 range, whereas my vault likes to run a bit hotter. When cooking indirect with logs on my Scottsdale, I run a bit hotter still.

I say whatever works for you is the temp you should cook at. Just be prepared for those who will brag that they cook at 700° and make the juiciest, best tasting meat in the history of mankind. LOL!

Learn the toothpick test. You'll pull the ribs off when they are perfectly done every time. No matter what temp you cook them at. Also, try cooking them without foiling, you might be surprised with your results. Ribs are sort of like brisket. If they're dry, they're probably under cooked.

There is no magic number, the magic is knowing when they are actually done. I used to think 225 was a magic number for all things BBQ but experimentation and experience has taught me different.

I've had great success with 275-300 and no wrapping, your miles may very.

Give him a minute Keith will weigh in shortly.:heh:
LOL, I suppose I have no choice. Yes I've cooked mine pretty dang hot on the roti (w/ an invention of mine) over a live fire many a time with temps jumping off the charts. Never any burning and quite juicy and tasty. I'm certainly not going to apologize for how good it can be cooked hot (or low and slow) That's the beauty of it... it doesn't matter what temp or grill they use, The ribs will turn out incredible via using my vertical rotisserie method.

It boils down to find the temps you like to cook at that give you the results you like. Don't listen to the chest beaters (closed minded is nothing you want to be a part of in bbq or anything in life). So many different ways/techniques/temps to cook bbq. Listen to those who share their opinions in an open manner not knocking others. Those are the folks that truly want to share/teach and learn themselves.........vs just chest beating.

It boils down to find the temps you like to cook at that give you the results you like. Don't listen to the chest beaters (closed minded is nothing you want to be a part of in bbq or anything in life). So many different ways/techniques/temps to cook bbq. Listen to those who share their opinions in an open manner not knocking others. Those are the folks that truly want to share/teach and learn themselves.........vs just chest beating.
We've seen you chest beat over Big briskets so be nice to yourself bud.

Wish I could thank this comment 100 times! I personally like 275 for just about everything but I have a friend who swears brisket is best at 225 and ribs are best when wrapped in foil (3-2-1 method), ect. We don't argue, he knows what he likes, I know what I like.

To the OP, I appreciate you sharing what YOU like to do. I may not use the information for myself, but there are thousands of people who visit this site every day and one of those folks may just think you gave them the exact piece of information they needed! :thumb:

Phil once told me a saying that was common a while back here on the forum. "There's no one way!" I think we need to get back to that motto here.....:biggrin1:

Back