• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket on the Ranch

1911Ron

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I did this brisket awhile ago when i first got my Ranch kettle but it got lost in the shuffle of life:twitch:

I went with a set up that was discussed over at the WKC using the snake method. I went with a 3x2 setup with some lump chunks on top along with Hickory chunks for the wood, i lit a full mini chimney of briquets to start and to help get the heat up because doing the conventional 10 or so wouldn't cut it. I closed two out of the three vents and barely cracked the vent under the start of the snake (note my one foul up was not opening the vent under the snake as it progressed and closing the other) and opening the top about half way ( conventional wisdom says to keep the top WTFO but on a Ranch you would run hotter temps, one guy has said the Ranch creates it's own weather!) once the lit was poured (slightly towards the middle to help heat it up) i left it open for a few minutes to make sure the snake was catching i closed it up and let it run.

After a bit i peeked at my oven thermometer and it read 250* i was good to go!
The start
20150705_132448_zpsyc9koakx.jpg

The pour!
20150705_134442_zps6ywcm2ud.jpg

A mid cook shot and still holding at 250*

20150705_141227_zpsx004wnxn.jpg

No more peeking!

20150705_162443_zps1ucqb7ag.jpg

And done!

Brisket01.jpg

This was the maiden voyage both for me cooking on the Ranch and its first cook!

Nice cook Ron. I'm sure you are going to love that Ranch. Just for kicks, if you have another one of those therms, put another on the other side of the brisket as well. you'll be surprised at the temp difference between the two for the first hour or so.

All of a sudden I keep seeing "Ranch Kettles". They look so amazingly big and wonderful. I want one. BUT....I have a large BGE and a Mini BGE plus a LSG vertical offset. So...if i want quick divorce, I need to get a Ranch Kettle!

Nice!

Love the ranch kettle.

All of a sudden I keep seeing "Ranch Kettles". They look so amazingly big and wonderful. I want one. BUT....I have a large BGE and a Mini BGE plus a LSG vertical offset. So...if i want quick divorce, I need to get a Ranch Kettle!

Lose wife, gain Ranch Kettle. Sounds like a fair trade to me :tape::tape::tape::tape:

I remember when my Rancher was new and shiney.Damn sure a learning curve,that top wide open chit goes out the window on a Rancher.

I remember when my Rancher was new and shiney.Damn sure a learning curve,that top wide open chit goes out the window on a Rancher.

Yep yep. I've found that the temp actually goes up when you close the top damper to about 1/2. Haven't quite worked out the physics on it yet though.

Wow! A brisket for your maiden cook! You are much braver than I! Looks great. What was the final result taste and texture-wise?

Back