A question for those that don't like mustard....

For burgers, it's Australian BBQ sauce (hard to get here but I worked out a recipe for it), grilled onions, lettuce, tomato and sliced pickled beets (it's an Aussie thing, standard on any take away burger and really, really good).

Hot dogs, sweet relish and stadium mustard...maybe a bit of sriracha for a nice heat hit.

To me, in the end, it's what you want.
If the meat, burger or hot dog, is not worthy of eating plain, it's a matter of covering up a questionable flavor. In that case, Nuke it! it's your only option, as a polite consumer, to cover for the cook.

Chris,

On my hamburger, I like miracle whip and tomato, or miracle whip and chili. Also, slaw is an option on either one.

On a hot dog, I usually use plain mustard, chili and slaw. I would think that if the chili and slaw was good, I wouldn't miss the mustard.

Do you use mustard for a binder under rub on pork?

Good luck with it. Let me know how it comes out. Joe

I have a similar problem. I do not handle sour. Acid makes my throat contract and cough. I always hated mustard because of the vinegar. It can even make me gag if it is strong. I always ate hot dogs with ketchup. I can put relish on if it is light and sweet. The first time I went to Europe was enlightening for me. I could not communicate that I did not want mustard on my sausage and would wipe off what I could, but the second or third time, I realized I liked the mustard. The European mustards do not have nearly the concentration of vinegar and many are sweet. It opened my eyes to a whole world of mustards. I thought I hated mustard, but it is really only the fluorescent yellow American mustard I hate. When we travel, we routinely bring back several bottles or tubes from wherever we are. Incidentally, this is true for other condiments as well. The ketchups in Europe are significantly sweeter than the US brands and I find they are much tastier too.

I like Burgers with Heinz Ketchup and Mayo. I absolutely hate Mustard on a Burger.
Now Hotdogs i like Mustard, Chili w/beans, raw minced onions and a pickle spear. I absolutely hate Ketchup on a Hotdog.

How do you eat your burgers and hot dogs?

Without mustard... :becky:

Okay to be serious I don't mind mustard on hot dogs but never on my burgers.

Hot dogs I like a good chili sauce and minced onions with a little mustard. On burgers about the only thing I don't like on them other than mustard is a tomato... yeah I know I'm weird!

I like Burgers with Heinz Ketchup and Mayo. I absolutely hate Mustard on a Burger.
Now Hotdogs i like Mustard, Chili w/beans, raw minced onions and a pickle spear. I absolutely hate Ketchup on a Hotdog.
Are you sure? (picture Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny") We need you to be absolutely sure about how you like you burgers and hotdogs.

Are you sure? (picture Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny") We need you to be absolutely sure about how you like you burgers and hotdogs.

Absolutely sure. Do we need to take a walk and discuss this any further?

I don't do ketchup on dogs or burgers....on a cheeseburger I like onion, tomato when they are in season and maybe a pickle, that or green chili and cheese.....hot dogs if mustard wasn't an option I'd go coleslaw and onion, or onion and relish.

Mayo or Miracle Whip, raw onion slices, tomato, lettuce, ketchup on burgers. Bacon if it's available. No cheese.
Butter, onions, ketchup on hot dogs. Unless it's a Chicago dog.
Mustard is to dip your french fries in after hitting them with black pepper.
Brats are good with mustard.
I hear what some of you say about vinegar, but I drink it right from the bottle. Especially Red Wine Vinegar and Balsamic. Worcestershire sauce too, right from the bottle.
Good stuff, Maynard!

My wife also has a thing against vinegar. I have to make two different types of potato salad, cole slaw, anything that is vinegar based.
We have all sorts of fancy vinegars, which she uses sparingly in her dishes. I go through cider vinegar by the gallon.
It all evens out. She loves capsaicin, to the extent that I can't eat what she cooks. In the end, it's a minor thing. We've been married since 1979, and are still learning. I made too vinegary a salad just this past weekend. She went into the kitchen and made her own, and did I hear about it!

Slaw yes. But a truly great potato salad should never have any vinegar in it.

As for burgers, Bacon, Pepper jack cheese, mayo, bbq sauce, jalepeno and red onion. And sometimes potato chips in the middle.

Thanks for all the responses! It gives me a little look into the minds of madness that belong to my brethren. Even those disparaging the great name of MAYO!:mrgreen:

Also, know this. I am NOT trying to "fix" her. LOL!! I was just wondering how other folks deal with an aversion to mustard/vinegar. My fridge has MANY different mustards. Don't know what I'd do without Lusty Monk mustard made right around here. I do my thing and when it comes to her I make her food to suit her alongside my version. With her that means I have to watch ANY heat whatsoever as well. It's fascinating that it's taken 40 years for me to find out that some folks consider black pepper actually too hot.:twitch::twitch:

I never realized that I was a "condiment guy" until my best friend pointed it out a few years ago. He said he's never met another person that takes as much pride in making the best tasting food he can that also has as many condiments at their disposal. I don't usually put them on the sammich unless they are integral(mater sammich, Cuban, Reuben ect ). I, instead, set them on the side so I can change the flavors of different bites. Maybe some sort of ongoing experiment...I don't know.

Gore, she has a similar reaction to what you experience. This unfortunately extends to tomatoes as well. The acid wreaks havoc on her mouth and insides(blisters and such), but if it's REALLLLLY good she'll put up with a small amount of it and pay the price.

On a side note: I feel really bad for the folks who won't eat mayo. They have no way to enjoy the magnificence that is a garden fresh mater sammich.:icon_sad:icon_sad

Ohhhhh...and I almost didn't mention my go-to bugers and dogs.

Well, I'm from North Carolina and my go-to burgers and dogs are "all the way". That's chili, slaw, onions and mustard. Depending on the chili or my stomach it could be "all the way, no chili".

Of course I eat ALL sorts of burgers and dogs from the kraut dog to the mushroom bacon swiss burger to the "lets get crazy" grilled onion, avocado, goat cheese, fried egg burger with lettuce and pickled tomato(thanks Chestnut in Asheville). LOL!

Gore, she has a similar reaction to what you experience. This unfortunately extends to tomatoes as well. The acid wreaks havoc on her mouth and insides(blisters and such), but if it's REALLLLLY good she'll put up with a small amount of it and pay the price.

I know exactly what you're talking about: I mentioned ketchup in my post above, yes, tomatoes too! -- but I don't get blisters. This is tough as I am half Italian, and embarrassing when I'm eating lasagna or spaghetti and coughing away. Tomato sauce can be "fixed" by adding a carrot to the sauce. You can serve with or without the carrot. Again, in Italy you will find the sauces have much less acid and are sweeter. I chalk this up to them using very ripe, sweet tomatoes to make their sauce. When you are very sensitive to this acid, you can really taste it. In general, we use a lot more vinegar in the US than in other countries. I expect this goes back to colonial days and using it for preservation. The taste just hung around and is a part of our cooking.

Tomato sauce can be "fixed" by adding a carrot to the sauce. You can serve with or without the carrot. Again, in Italy you will find the sauces have much less acid and are sweeter. I chalk this up to them using very ripe, sweet tomatoes to make their sauce. When you are very sensitive to this acid, you can really taste it.

Hmmmm.... I will definitely give that a whirl(the carrot info). I also can say that we have experienced the same thing in regards to tomato sauces. To be honest, my stomach is a bit sensitive when it comes to tomato products. But, I've found that fresh, in season tomatoes aren't as bad and definitely sauce that's made from fresh ripe tomatoes cooked very slowly. If there is tomato paste used in any way.....I'm in trouble and she is beyond that. I've found that when making my own sauce using canned tomatoes that Sclafani Whole Peeled Tomatoes works best. They ALL hurt, but you probably understand where I'm coming from with managing the pain/reward ratio.:grin:

RE: OP
I like mustard and cheddar on my dogs. Mayo and mustard on my burgers. No ketchup. If the wife is opposed to mustard, maybe you should try some custom mayos. We have a great burger place here in NOLA that has a "Mayo Bar". You could try lime cilantro mayo, tarragon mayo, garlic chili mayo, etc.

No Mayo....ever.:hand:

Years ago I found a hilarious site called NoMayo.com - The International Mayonaise Haters Association. It is now defunct, but I found part of it on the Wayback Machine. Here is a sample:
Mayo Haters said:
Mr. No Mayo,

It's hard to be married to a mayophobe. My husband and I take separate picnics. I have given up tuna. Sadly, our son will not eat deviled eggs.

I have a wicked heart, Charles. I state it plainly. Sometimes I dream of giving my husband a surprise party, serving nothing but platters and platters of raw red tomatoes garnished with mayo dollops.

I sometimes dream of young Italian men making love to me under olive trees, then finishing off the deed with a ceremonial Sharing of the Tomato. Seed to seed. Skin to skin. Sucking sun from the nightshade.

I want you to look deep inside yourself, Charles. If you are disgusted by mayo, are you not rejecting the very essence of life?

Selby - Deep River

Reply: Folks, this is a perfect example of what happens to you when you eat mayonnaise. It rots your brain. Sucking sun from the nightshade? Selby, you need professional help.

:loco::loco::loco:

My dogs always have some ketchup,relish,onions, and some German (scharf) mustard that I brought back from Germany on them. Doesn't taste the same without them. Now that's on American hot dogs only. Bratwurst gets a different treatment.

My least favorite item for burgers is mayo and my least favorite item for hot dogs is ketchup.

With that said, I am not a big fan of plain yellow mustard, I prefer mustard with something more in taste or more bite to it. I grew up hating mustard and wouldn't eat anything that even slightly touched mustard. English hot mustard (or Irish) is good, but on a hot dog I prefer a smooth mild horseradish mustard as to not overpower the taste of the meat. (yes the meat....) For the most part I buy frankfurters that are made at a local butcher shop, or a quality brand of German Hot Dogs from the store.

Maybe if she was willing to try something different in the line of mustard, she might find something that she might actually like. I don't know, but just a suggestion from someone who also used to hate any type of mustard. I also used to hate anything with vinegar until I found out there are many types of vinegar (including infused) with some really great flavors.

I think as we age, our flavors change, we become more tolerant to try things that we once disliked, and we discover new wonderful flavors.

Maybe if she was willing to try something different in the line of mustard, she might find something that she might actually like. I don't know, but just a suggestion from someone who also used to hate any type of mustard. I also used to hate anything with vinegar until I found out there are many types of vinegar (including infused) with some really great flavors.

I think as we age, our flavors change, we become more tolerant to try things that we once disliked, and we discover new wonderful flavors.

LOL!! Yea....she's willing and has been willing to try just about anything I ask of her. But, the results are all the same. It's a white hot hatred of mustard and vinegar....and horseradish. So, my beloved Lusty Monk Mustards don't even get a chance to shine.:doh:

I don't ever try to bring folks over to my tastes as they are extremely varied and wide. However, I do hope someone will at least try something before labeling it as gross, yucky or whatever. Because if you've never tasted something how would you know?

Back