• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS ve Kamado

angryfish01

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I found a source for some 55 gal drums. I thought I might get a couple and use one for a UDS.
My question is, If I already have a Vision Kamado do I need a UDS other than bragging rites and collectors fever. Do they cook much differently from each other? Does one do more than the other?
Any item that can be seen must pass wife's inspection and get approval. Might have trouble with the "Ugly" part.
:icon_blush:

Last edited:
A kamado cooker is more verastile as it can do high heat grilling, pizzas etc.. as well as low n slow cooks. However a UDS can hold a lot more meat than the average kamado, depending on how you build it. A UDS will use a ton more fuel compared to a kamado cooker. So it really depends on your cooking needs or if you just want to build one. If you are gonna build one, do your research and build one to last and have fun doing it.

So I found a source for some 55 gal drums. I thought I might get a couple and use one for a UDS.
My question is, If I already have a Vision Kamado do I need a UDS other than bragging rites and collectors fever. Do they cook much differently from each other? Does one do more than the other?
Any item that can be seen must pass wife's inspection and get approval. Might have trouble with the "Ugly" part.

None of the UDS builds I have seen here have the U in them

they should be called PDS

Its true. Most drums aren't that ugly. Give it a good paint job with engine block paint and she'll look just as good as any WSM.

IMHO comparing a UDS and Kamado is apples to oranges. Building a UDS will certainly be cheaper and more fun though.

Its true. Most drums aren't that ugly. Give it a good paint job with engine block paint and she'll look just as good as any WSM.

IMHO comparing a UDS and Kamado is apples to oranges. Building a UDS will certainly be cheaper and more fun though.

The point is I already have a Kamado. Does a UDS do something better?

The point is I already have a Kamado. Does a UDS do something better?

Absolutely, the UDS gives you that cooked over coals flavor that no other pit can do.... Well unless your Cookin direct over coals. Your meat is too close to the coals in a kamado so thats why people use the indirect plate on them. IMO everyone should have a UDS. I use it more than any other pit I have.

The UDS purist would tell you that the flavor of the meat is enhanced when the fat drips down directly onto the coals creating steam which then flavors the meat. As an owner of both types of cookers I can tell you that I pull great Q off both. You can grill on your drum if you lower your grate or raise your basket (BPS style). Like most UDS advocates I just like cooking in a can for some reason. There is something old school that makes you appreciate the product that comes out of it. Also, the fact that you built it makes you feel even better. My BGE is a bit more convenient to maintain but there is just something about the UDS that only a UDS owner can understand. That may not make sense but it's the only way I can explain it. Also someone commented about fuel consumption. I have found the UDS to use about the same amount of fuel as a kamado. It doesn't make sense as the kamado is essentially insulated but these drums are extremely efficient. I cooked for over 28 hours on 1 bag of KBB in my UDS so if that's not efficient I don't know what is?

My uds is great on charcoal use. I agree each has it's uses and is different styles of cooking.

i have both. i love both. if nothing else the uds can hold more meat. you wont regret building a UDS. make it nice looking and wifey will approve, especially after she tastes the food coming off of it

My answer to that specific question would be no. But since this is an addiction and we must help feed another to fuel it, YES, get every damn cooker you can get your hands on!!!

A kamado cooker is more verastile as it can do high heat grilling, pizzas etc.. as well as low n slow cooks. However a UDS can hold a lot more meat than the average kamado, depending on how you build it. A UDS will use a ton more fuel compared to a kamado cooker. So it really depends on your cooking needs or if you just want to build one. If you are gonna build one, do your research and build one to last and have fun doing it.

I disagree that a kamado is more versatile. I have both cookers, and while the kamado can do low and slow, I see them as more of a grill/roaster. I believe my UDS does low temp Q better and has WAY more capacity as I have two grates in mine. Also, every time you do pizza on a kamado you are burning off all the delicious smoky seasoning with the high heat required to cook a pie. That's my experience anyway. I'd rather have an old kettle dedicated to high heat pizza cooks. That said, if you build a UDS to last and include a second grate, you'll be able to cook a lot of meat or utilize a diffuser on the lower grate which is handy. And make it so you can raise the basket for grilling.
My experience is they are also super efficient, even in the cold weather. I swear mine cooks like it's insulated and uses about as much coal as a Prius does gas! I say go for it, you won't regret it and you can never have too many cookers. Different tools for different tasks. JOMO.

Quantity is the biggest difference as I see it. I do like to cook briskets over the coals direct, and that doesn't happen in a BGE, although I am not sure you can't do that. For me, it really does come down to the amount I can cook on it.

I have a Primo Kamado and a UDS (big Poppa smoker). They cook similar, but the BPS gives me a little more smoke flavor than the Primo. They both work similarly in that you can dial in the temperature and it will stay for a long time. I get a much longer cook out of the Primo than the BPS, mainly due to the fact that the coal basket on the BPS is not that big. It has a max burn of 13 hours or so on 1 load of coal. I really like having both and use them in tandem all the time.

You're obviously interested in building a drum. Who really cares how differently they cook? Build the drum for fun and cook on it. Then decide if you want to keep it, sell it, gift it etc.

If you really want to know which one cooks better product, then cook the same meal on both cookers (same recipe of of course) and present to your guests in a blind test.

I did this one year at thanksgiving, one turkey cooked over coals and one turkey fried. My guests loved the fried but they devoured the other.

I can`t comment on the kamado as I don`t have one but with my UDS I have cooked a couple briskets and a couple butts with room to spare and used very little fuel doing it. Everyone I cook for seams to love the flavor and just love the set it and forget it temp on it but I have heard the Kamado is similar in that effect.

I love my Kamado but I am also tempted to build a UDS. I want to cook on it to see the true differences...and to have an excuse to Q more :)

I bought 2 55 Gal drums today, $20.00 ea. One for making lump charcoal, and one for a future UDS.

I be Happy!:grin:

Back