First Time Pulled Lamb Shoulder (pron)

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and bought a lamb shoulder. 3 lbs. No pic of the nekkid little lamb. sorry.

Rubbed with a paste of garlic, oregano, black pepper and parsley, and let it sit overnight.

No, I did not add salt to the rub; I have been placed on a low sodium diet (I still cook full sodium for my friends and family), and I wanted to see if the lamb really needed it. It didn't.

rubbedlamb.jpg

Put the little lamb in the UDS and let it sit at 275 for about 3 hours.

lambuds.jpg

The pan had water in it. I used maple wood chunks.

The IT was 160, so I pulled it and foiled it. I will let it go a little longer next time, as the pulling was not as easy as it is with a pork shoulder.

pulledlamb.jpg

Here are the leftover parts: Fat and bones. I got a 50% yield from this shoulder.

lambleftovers.jpg

The taste? OMFG. I don't care if you hate lamb. You will love it smoked. Now I see why our Australian brethren have tried to keep it a secret.

This is by far my 6 year old's favorite smoked meat.

If you ever want to use the SC mustard based sauce--this is the perfect time.

I also make it with just the NC style vinegar baste and sauce--extremely good and it lessens the 'gamey' flavor

looks good. For next time, if you're looking to pull it, cook until it probes tender, and it'll pull with no problem.

I absolutely love lamb and hadn't cooked it in a while. This looks great, John!

We'll be conscious of the low sodium deal at the pig roast!

so excited you posted this, thank you. I have a lamb shoulder in the freezer I was waiting for the fall / winter to braise... now I think I have a better idea :grin:

The shoulder is _THE_ lamb cut to pull, and from your pic you are spot on, it was a little under but you have it down.
Next will be perfect. I don't use a thermometer, just let the meat tell you when it is ready. It's like brisket, prod it, then when you are close probe or stick a fork in it and twist.
If you go too far it gets stringy, but it is a wide window compared to brisket so don't worry. Just don't talk to the scotch bottle too much and forget it completely.
Don't ask me how I know that...

There was no gamey smell in the UDS when I got home (and it's been in the 90s here).

Absolutely amazing. Love lamb, haven't tried smoking much of it yet. I smoked the breast a few times but this looks ridiculous. For sure next on my list. Thanks for posting

Back