I just don't get this probes like buttah with brisket..?!?

I learned the difference between undercooked and overcooked flat a long time ago, to this date I've maybe undercooked a couple of them. Most of them are dry and nearly impossible to slice (so overcooked). And they've still had resistance when I pulled them :-o

The edge of the flat feels sometimes like it has no resistance, but sometimes the edge might have _more_ resistance than the center, which is weird...

A while ago I got three perfectly cooked flats, I had to pull them "early" because of our timing when they still had a bit of resistance left. I'm thinking that should be the standard when probing other flats? Or maybe that was just a fluke...

The flats that I buy come from the States and are "ungraded", since export meat is seldom graded. The European distributor explained to me they are not below Select, or Choice, but simply just not graded. They look good, have pretty good marbling, enough fat and are wet aged for around 40-55 days when I get them. I pick the best looking ones, usually around 6-7 pounds per flat. Here's an example of one of the better ones:

Thanks for the kind words, no private schools, just a lot of watching X-files before our elementary school :grin: So I guess that means self taught :wink: They do start teaching us English when we are six, though.

My hometown is not much of a town, I grew up in a farm where all my smokers (one big baby drum, four UDS') still reside with my folks:

I guess I'm just thick headed, I haven't counted, but I guess I've done almost hundred flats and still can't get it right :oops:

Dude you are sooooo under cooking them.

Nope, that's not an option. I undercooked my first one (and some others) and I know the difference between under and over. I actually started a thread back then wondering why my flats were dry :grin:

The previous batch I did, I barely managed to slice. When I tried to move the slices, they fell apart into mushy beef.

Today I did two flats and nailed then both. The only thing I did differently, I set an alarm for 15 minutes when I was venting them. Maybe I _though_ I was venting for 15 minutes, but in reality not even close... They felt perfectly probe tender when I pulled them at around 210-214F internal.

Got perfect slices that droop over my finger just the way they are supposed to, and tear apart very easily having just a slight snap. Isn't that the way brisket should be? It was tender and had good beefy flavour :grin:

I want to say thank you for the pics.
I like to see other parts of the world.
Your pic shows similar to America -
Cars parked in the front yard. Rednecks Rule!

LISTEN to BLUDAWG.
Get a full Packer Brisket, which is flat and point in about a
6KG pack.

It is called a 120C Beef Brisket, 2pc, Boneless
by the NAMP (link to follow)

http://www.chefs-resources.com/Meat-Buyers-Guide-PDF

Yeah I know packers would be better, but I _can't_ get them here in Finland. Well I could if I had enough stuff going on to get through multiple cases a month...

Just had to update this, after I started using a timer set for 20 minutes while venting, I haven't had any overcooked flats :-D

I cooked one flat for European KCBS contest at Ruhrpott, did pretty well 10/58 for my first Butcher's injected flat. Now just gotta work on the flavour profile and try to get some packers for burnt ends...

I too think they are undercooked. I would question the accuracy of your temp gauges/probes and if you are getting a true grill level reading.

Another thing is the rest time you mention. Coming off High Heat, I loosely foil tent and wait for the IT to drop between 140-150*F. That can take over an hour but yields good results.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Back