mesquite charcoal sale??

M

mredowling

mesquite charcoal sale?
a friend of mine has a 40 # bag of mesquite charcoal for 15.00 is this comparable to say kingfore charcoal as far as bur time goes? and is this a good price. seem to me that it is??
Thanks Ed

Price seems a little high. WE get it for $13 at Smart&Final and $9 at Restaurant depot.

$15 for 40 pounds is 38 cents per pound. That sounds pretty cheap to me. Especially when a lot of lump is over a dollar per pound.

If it's lump, it's going to give a very strong flavor. Mesquite can be easily overpowering. You might want to mix it with something like Kingsford Briquettes until you know how much favor you want...

I wonder if it will be as strong as you think. Cooper's in LLano uses all mesquite which they burn down to coals before using it for their smoke/heat source. It isn't overpowering. Perhaps all the oils and other elements that make it taste strong when using unburned mesquite are burned out by the process of turning it into charcoal?

I wonder if it will be as strong as you think. Cooper's in LLano uses all mesquite which they burn down to coals before using it for their smoke/heat source. It isn't overpowering. Perhaps all the oils and other elements that make it taste strong when using unburned mesquite are burned out by the process of turning it into charcoal?
You've got a good point... I would still be concerned about the flavor it would impart... even a little over a long period would have a strong flavor.

You've got a good point... I would still be concerned about the flavor it would impart... even a little over a long period would have a strong flavor.

Point well taken HSLS, you are probably right about the reduction in harshness due to burning off oils, etc.

But like D-master I would still be concerned about it.

I would probably buy a cheap cut of something or another and give it a test run b-4 I put a Standing Rib Roast and mesquite in the same smoker...

Sams' sells a bag of 40 lb lump mesquite in the 14-15 dollar range. I used a bag, had a lot of powder in the bottom. Burned fine, think it sparked some now that I think back about it. Its in a big brown bag, something "best". I haven't rushed out an bought anymore, if thats a clue.

Back