Just the tip...

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Rib Tip, that is...

There is a chance that I will be cooking/doing a demo at the SoCal Eggfest on October 1, 2016, and I was thinking about rib tips - so today was my final practice

Got 3 racks of full spares, total of 15lbs. They were 4.1, 4.1 and 5.9lbs pre-trimming, and 2.2, 2.5 and 2.8lbs after trimming. This resulted in 5.1lbs of tips, and 2lbs of scrap meat which went in the freezer.

Seasoned the St Louis ribs and the tips with a 50/50 mix of Cucamonga Cattle Company Trail Boss and Prairie Dust (3tbsp of each)
Rubs%201.jpg

Ran the UDS with KBB and Almond Wood, cruising between 275 - 325 depending on the rack and how willing I was to get off the sofa. After about 30 minutes the rub had hydrated, and was ready to go on the smoker
Rub%20hydrated.jpg

Ribs ran naked for 3hr 15min, and got a final glaze of homemade bbq sauce for the last 15min

BBQ%20Sauce.jpg

Ribs%20ready%20to%20sauce.jpg

Ribs%20Sauced%203.jpg

Rib Tips got chopped after 2 1/2hrs and put in pan along with beer and bbq sauce. Cooked for 1hr covered, removed foil, and cooked an additional 1hr, stirring every 15min, and adding additional sauce after the first 30min

Rib%20Tips%20ready%20to%20wrap.jpg

Rib%20Tips%20Plated.jpg

Rib%20Tips%20Plated%203.jpg

Overall wasn't happy with the St Louis ribs, after trimming they were smaller than I like, but the Rib Tips were delicious!

Wow that color on those tips.

Damn that all looks awesome. Great pics btw. :thumb:

Thanks for sharing, I've been cooking the tips then pulling the meat and bagging it for future cooks, I'm definitely going to give this a try.

It always starts with "just the tip" but never stays that way. That's what I've heard anyway.

Those look great from here!

Where's this Eggfest? :hungry:

Those look amazing! Do you use almond wood often?

Almost exclusively now. I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told that Bigmista used almond wood so I tried it, and really love the stuff

To me, it's a much milder smoke, yet still reminiscent of hickory

Looks fantastic!

Try just the tip.......just for a second......just to see how it tastes....

Back