Easter ham

c farmer

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I decided to try a ham for Easter. It will be my first shot at curing a ham.

Got a bone in butt.

Not real cheap.

De boned.

Tied back up.

Injected and in the brine bucket for 10-14 days.

Any of you ham makers out there have any advise?

Thanks.

I usually do more of a dry cure, but this will work!:thumb:

Those who say you can't make "ham" from a "butt" are hung up on the exact verbiage used for the cut of the animal. I'm not saying they are wrong...those cuts DO have names...but if you take a "ham" cut and do not cure it and cook it until it's tender like a butt, pull it and serve it in sandwiches, people will call it pulled pork and assume it is from the shoulder.:doh: Same works for cured meats.:thumb:

Enjoy. you know what you're doing.:thumb:

I usually do more of a dry cure, but this will work!:thumb:

Enjoy. you know what you're doing.:thumb:

I like the brine so I can inject to make sure it all gets cured.

And I wish I knew what I was doing. LOL

I like the brine so I can inject to make sure it all gets cured.

And I wish I knew what I was doing. LOL
It's one of those things, as long as the brine is made right and i'm guessing you're using pops so i know it is then you can't go wrong.

It's one of those things, as long as the brine is made right and i'm guessing you're using pops so i know it is then you can't go wrong.

Pops is proven thats for sure.

Injecting speeds up the curing, but not necessary. Still though, speeding things up is nice. With the amount of time you're curing, no worries.

Bone = flavor and boneless = not so much for left over stock and stew IMO. Please tell me you boiled the bone out.

When I injected I had the brine coming out everywhere. I am sure it will cure fine.
It will...just needs enough time....Easter is cutting it close but you did inject the heck out of it.

Bone = flavor and boneless = not so much for left over stock and stew IMO. Please tell me you boiled the bone out.

The bone is in the freezer for later. :-D

Looks like you got this one Adam!

So you left it in the brine for 13 days?
I'm guessing this as you posted the thread on the 5th.
With injecting it you should be golden Brother :thumb:

Off to a good start Adam. Looking forward to the finished pics.

Back