Go Natural or "un" Natural with competition meat

CodyJ.

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just finished up my first year of KCBS competition. Did 4-5 events. Most of the time was middle of the pack. Sometimes a little better. Had a few calls, but nothing major. All in all I consider it a good first year. Went with the same recipes for all events I feel this gave me a good baseline.

Things I learned:
- use Wagyu. Went from middle of the pack to 6th in each contest I used a wagyu. Did not inject with anything. Used a pretty basic rub. Only sauced the burnt ends. Bingo, figured it out a bit.

- pork. Over cook it and get a great slicing knife for money muscle. I inject but only with my juice of choice. Natural stuff. Still, was always a little better than middle of the pack most of the time. But no top 10's. I used the blues hog/Tennessee mix and a sweet rub. Nothing too crazy.

- ribs. When I cooked them right I did well. When I cooked under cooked them I did horrible. No injection or marinades. I learned to wrap face down in butter/juice and this helped a lot. Still, top 10 once. Other than that was all over the place in scoring. Really depended on if I under cooked them or not.

- chicken. I'm lost. I use thighs. Cook in a vat of butter and they still come out dry. Marinade in italian dreasing. Little bit of a decent rub. Sauce at the end and set the sauce. It tastes like ****. I'm lost. We did horrible in chicken however I found that if I put 9 thighs in a box my score went up.

After talking to many teams this year I found that many of the more notable teams use injections with msg and other stuff I can't pronounce. A lot of meat glue going on too.

Am I stupid for not using it? Part of me wants to make bbq that is what I consider to be bbq. But te other part of me wants to win. I'm torn.

Thoughts??

I also started competing this year. Did three comps. Pork was consistently my best with 2 calls out of three. But I am also lost with Chicken. Poor scores in all three comps on chicken. I scraped the skin but have not trimmed any bones.

We have lots of time over the winter to practice :grin:

Welcome to the world of competitive BBQ. If want to shorten your learning curve, take a class from any of the NEBS teams. And take judging class if you haven't yet and judge a few contests to taste the flavor profile. Your on the right track, the more contests you enter, the better you will get . Good luck

I just finished up my first year of KCBS competition. Did 4-5 events. Most of the time was middle of the pack. Sometimes a little better. Had a few calls, but nothing major. All in all I consider it a good first year. Went with the same recipes for all events I feel this gave me a good baseline.

Things I learned:
- use Wagyu. Went from middle of the pack to 6th in each contest I used a wagyu. Did not inject with anything. Used a pretty basic rub. Only sauced the burnt ends. Bingo, figured it out a bit.

- pork. Over cook it and get a great slicing knife for money muscle. I inject but only with my juice of choice. Natural stuff. Still, was always a little better than middle of the pack most of the time. But no top 10's. I used the blues hog/Tennessee mix and a sweet rub. Nothing too crazy.

- ribs. When I cooked them right I did well. When I cooked under cooked them I did horrible. No injection or marinades. I learned to wrap face down in butter/juice and this helped a lot. Still, top 10 once. Other than that was all over the place in scoring. Really depended on if I under cooked them or not.

- chicken. I'm lost. I use thighs. Cook in a vat of butter and they still come out dry. Marinade in italian dreasing. Little bit of a decent rub. Sauce at the end and set the sauce. It tastes like ****. I'm lost. We did horrible in chicken however I found that if I put 9 thighs in a box my score went up.

After talking to many teams this year I found that many of the more notable teams use injections with msg and other stuff I can't pronounce. A lot of meat glue going on too.

Am I stupid for not using it? Part of me wants to make bbq that is what I consider to be bbq. But te other part of me wants to win. I'm torn.

Thoughts??

If you're not sure about using injections, just do a practice cook so you can do a side by side comparison, 1 butt with injection, 1 without. Same for brisket. That way you can decide which you prefer.

I will say if you're not injecting, you're already at a disadvantage because 90% of the other guys there are.

Please explain"meat glue"

It's exactly that: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transglutaminase-Meat-Glue-Formula-50g/dp/B00EIGV7MC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413381206&sr=8-1&keywords=meat+glue"]Amazon.com : Transglutaminase (Meat Glue) - RM Formula - 50g/2oz : Gourmet Food : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AM4u3b3mL.@@AMEPARAM@@41AM4u3b3mL[/ame]

Some teams use it to help chicken skin stay in place.

Things I learned:

The use of Wagyu is NOT necessary! A team at a contest I was at in Georgia a few weeks ago accidentally left their Wagyu at home and just picked up a brisket from WalMart. They scored a 180 in Brisket!

It's not ALL about the meat if you know how to cook!

I assume this has absolutely no benefit or value to your cook if you don't have this problem?

Some very big teams use it. You would be surprised. It's like anything else. Give yourself any advantage you can.

I would say you're doing better than the majority of the other teams have in their first year of competition.

Chicken is always tough. I would offer some thoughts.

First off, are you smoking or grilling your chicken? The more salt your marinade has, the faster it will dry out at the higher temps of grilling.

Second is - keep your chicken simple. Our team uses nothing but rub and a VERY light sauce. We score consistently well and even grabbed a fifth place last year.

Third: Have fun!

I gave up on winning a long time ago. I found out that cooking BBQ in competitions pays a lot of rewards that are far beyond the recognition of winning. It forces me to be a lot better at things that I'm normally not so good at. Plus it's just fun!

SO - don't get so hung up on winning. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

That is crazy. I don't know that it is worth putting crazy stuff in your bbq just to get a W! Then again i said i would be a stick burner till the end but last few comps i have taken about 3 sticks of wood and a few bags of mojo bricks so who knows.

Part of me wants to make bbq that is what I consider to be bbq. But te other part of me wants to win. I'm torn.
Only you can decide which you want more.
I will say that if you are cooking product for your own tastes and concepts, be prepared to make your own trophies as well.

It's hard to sort through what's hype and what works. We don't find it necessary to scrape or glue chicken, and do all right with it.

Injections are a different story, though, and used correctly they do exactly what they're supposed to do. The only way you will ever know for sure what they do with your cook process is to test cook side by side with your current method, and see which gives you a better competition product.

That is crazy. I don't know that it is worth putting crazy stuff in your bbq just to get a W! Then again i said i would be a stick burner till the end but last few comps i have taken about 3 sticks of wood and a few bags of mojo bricks so who knows.

Competing for money would be a good reason. Is it crazy to inject flavor in to your brisket? I bet anyone who has ever had a steak has ingested meat glue at one time or another. This "Crazy Stuff" as you term it are no different than any other ingredients used to make food taste better and have better texture.

I agree with try it both ways and see for yourself. Congrats on your first year!

Last edited:
i make all my rubs and injections and i know that there is nothing in there that does not happen natural in the world in my bbq.

You do realize that MSG is natural, just an extraction from seaweed. Really no different than sea salt which is extracted from seawater.

Maybe I should post the ingredient list of Fab-P. Just personally weirds me out. Doesn't feel like real bbq to me. But hey, it is what it is.

Back