One Man, One Grill...

fxdlryan

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Every year my folks come out from TX and we rent a beach house together in OBX, this year we decided to try two weeks. We usually eat out a lot as there are so many restaurants we've found over the years, but I get bored on the beach and wanted to cook some more at the beach house this year. Since the the grills are usually crappy, Since I got my Primo, I haven't used my WSM and was considering selling it. This trip reminded me that I learned most of my smoking knowledge on the WSM and I still love it, it will be hard to sell it, even after my LSG Insulated Vertical arrives in a few weeks. Here's the smoker loaded up on the hitch mounted carrier with a couple bags of charcoal.
IMG_20160604_074436443_HDR_zps7i4qolvt.jpg

First up, my plan was to reverse sear some Choice filets I'd brought in the cooler. This process was going a little slow and my fam-damily was hungry, so I removed the middle section and just dropped the grate on the fire ring and grilled them. Some of the steaks hadn't completely thawed before cooking and they required constant attention and movement, but they turned out fantastic, my wife says maybe the best steaks I've ever cooked.
IMG_20160605_173253429_HDR_zpssib5wnat.jpg

Second up was a brisket, I fired up the smoker, got it up to temp, put the brisket on and went to work out. Came back to the beach house, got cleaned up and scooted off to go shoot some skeet and by the time I got back, the brisket was done early. Funny thing is, my briskets always take forever and this time it finished early, temps were good and it probed like butter so I pulled it off to rest in the cooler and served it up for dinner, In all honesty, it was a little overdone and parts of the flat crumbled, but that's the way my wife actually likes it, she and my daughter both proclaimed it to be the best brisket ever. I also smoked a naked fatty after the brisket pulled off and it was also a big hit.
IMG_20160608_163504662_zpsp0br5goh.jpg

Next up was beer can chicken and grilled pineapple. I removed the water pan and ceramic platter and cooked them on the lower grate and later added the pineapples on the upper grate. Not having my beer can holders, the chickens fell over at some point, but they still cooked fine though slower than when I do them on the kamado or gas grill, the skin also wasn't as crispy, but they were still perfectly edible and I'm the only one that really eats the skin.
IMG_20160613_173531988_HDR_zps2s95rhde.jpg

IMG_20160613_173750638_zpshwxyvmrg.jpg

Last up on the smoker was pork butts, a 2 pack from Costco I'd brought down. Pulled pork turned out well, though not as good as usual. Fed the family with it that night and brought the leftovers out to the skeet range the next day and warmed them up on the little Smokey Joe they have at the range. A dozen Krispy Kreme donuts hit the table about the same time as 5 or 6 pounds of pulled pork, an hour later 10 donuts remained and all the pork was gone. One of the guys said, "You know that's some damn good BBQ when almost a whole box of donuts is still there and all the BBQ is gone." Forgot to get any pics of the pork butt.

Between the cooks and the leftovers, we had dinner about 7 nights off of the WSM and everyone seemed to really enjoy the food. I'm not sure it would be worth it for a 1 week trip, but I'm glad I brought it for the 2 week trip. I also realize I'm pretty spoiled at home with all of my knives, kitchen and grilling stuff, but it was also kind of nice just to get back to basics

Love going to the OBX, beautiful stretches of beach and the best surf on the East Coast, I usually try to go up in September. Enjoy :thumb:

I had to look up what obx was. Outer banks for the other dummies like me not from around there.

That chicken looks beautiful.

Back