Just one little thing I've learned here

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've learned a ton here in the last year and a half. As I started my first ever whole brisket this morning, one simple thing seemed to stick out. Simply, I don't fight temp management any more. A year ago, I'd look up the "target" temp to cook something and then spend the entire time trying to keep on target. Now, I just try to stay in a range, and let the cooker settle in where it wants. Seems now that constant temp means a whole lot more than a specific number. I say that as my target on the Primo was somewhere around 300. It's running steady at 296 and I'm a happy camper.:doh:

Sometimes we make BBQ too difficult. Laziness can be a virtue in our world. Some of my best cooks are when i don't fret and fuss but rather just let it go.

I get asked by coworkers what temp I cook at on my smoker. I tell them 250, 270, 290, 310... wherever the drum settles in steady on that day. The meat doesn't care- I don't care. I feel a bit sorry for the OCD group who worry and sweat even over backyard cooks.

I get asked by coworkers what temp I cook at on my smoker. I tell them 250, 270, 290, 310... wherever the drum settles in steady on that day. The meat doesn't care- I don't care. I feel a bit sorry for the OCD group who worry and sweat even over backyard cooks.

^^^^

Exactly. I know when I first got started I was a temp natzi. I worried so much that it wasn't fun and I wondered why ANYONE in their right mind would want to do this daily and compete. Then I was told by someone here, sorry I can't recall who, to just let it ride. The cooker will cook where it cooks. Don't fight it.

I then put on a pork butt about 10 pounds and just let it ride. I averaged between 275 and 300 and it turned out fantastic!! From that day on smoking became fun. I no longer fight and let the chips fall where they may and enjoy the day.

I strive for perfection every time I cook. It is just who I am and I get upset when my cooks don't come out exactly right. As I get older I have been finding out that if I just let the cooker do it's thing without me over thinking it things actually come out better than I expected.

I was the same way. Every 5 or 10 degree shift in temp. I would wonder what the heck was going on. I got my Shirley stick burner and now cooking is a true 100% joy. I can not wait for my next cook. My cooker loves to run 275 -325. When the temp falls to 250 I throw on a stick or 2. It will go up to 300-325 and slowly fall again. Very easy. The meat is done when it is done. I have not had a bad cook In such a long time. Relax,enjoy and let the cooker do its thing. Keep the faith.

Just pulled the brisket at 4 hours exact and probe tender. Flipped it after two hours, and the air when I opened the cooker caused a temp spike to 316. Again, a year ago I would have been going crazy trying to get back to target. Just let the Primo do its thing and it's all good

Not your first date

You learn well grasshopper. After your first couple of dates you learn to sit back and enjoy it. As they say don't stress it, be happy.

Thoey, on at 11:30am, and off at 3:30pm. Couldn't find unwaxed paper, so foiled it half way through. The IT was 197 and probe tender when I pulled it. I'm keeping the probe (Igrill) in it as it cools. It spiked to 205 after I pulled it. I still have it in foil and roughly following Bludawg's guideline, I'm not touching it til it gets down around 150. I plan on a different post to show the results. BTW, it's 11.5 pounds raw weight.

Damn. I admit to having not tried Blu's method. I know from others that it works. I just stick to the old ways for those and it works for me. Just surprising it only took 4 hours. Every piece of meat is different. Sounds like you got one that made for an easy cook.

Luck of the draw I hope! Got it from Gordon's food service. Choice at 2.59 per pound.

Back