Question about Ribfest

Trucky1008

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I went to the Ribfest today in Council Bluffs, IA with Gary [garyk1398] and his son Zack (future pit master) . They had 6 vendors selling the normal Q menu. I recognized Texas Rib Rangers and the others I hadn't seen before. One of the vendors was from Australia.

Each vendor was displaying a dozen or so trophies in front of their stand. My quesiton is: do they win these trophies at judged competitions similar to the ones mentioned in this forum or are they won at public events similar to the Ribfest I was attending where the public votes? I'm not minimizing the significance of the trophies, I'm just curious and the amount of tropies looks impressive. Thanks

Hi,

I doubt that there are any rules or regulations on what vendors can or can not display.

I would take a good look at the trophies and see if you can determine where they were won. Or ask!

Eric

You can be certain that Bill Milroy and The Texas Rib Rangers have won plenty in competition. I have no idea how many they may, or may not, have won via people's choice.

Ribfests are a competition of their own. They have a bunch of teams that compete in this circuit. Some do cross over to KCBS. Butch's Smack Your Lips is another one of those teams. The Ausum Aussie is the Austrailian team I believe you are referring to, he is out of PA

Smack Your Lips and Ausum Aussie were both there, as well as Texas Rib Rangers. Good grub! Thanks for the info.

Ribfests are a type of people's choice contests, but one of the purposes is to vend BBQ. We went to the Capital City Ribfest down in Lincoln and had perhaps the worst BBQ I had ever tasted. Four of us went and we each hit a different vendor (I am sure they were all the same as the one held this weekend in CB). Assum Aussie's perhaps had the best ribs.
Just my 2 cents

Truck and I had ribs from Desperado's that I had was pretty good. Not sure it they forgot or missed a piece of membrane on mine. That was a little disappointing.

I did have ribs from Texas Rib Rangers down in KC at the GAB and thought they were good, bought some of their rub. I did tell Gary that I thought my ribs are better than the ones we ate in CB. I guess I better prove this to Gary!

I was ticked off on Texas Rib Rangers $6 sandwhich, McDonalds kiddy burger was bigger, and Big Bone smothered their Q in sauce, I couldn't even taste the brisket yet alone see the meat, way to much sauce. The good thing about Big bone was they gave you a big helping of the stuff on a big bun. My wife said my food is better. Next year I'll go on free night & listen to the music.

I went to the ribfest when it was in des moines. What a waste! I expected it to be average at best food. But honestly, I would've been embarrased to serve that food to my customers.
The "trophy's" displayed were far from actual competition trophys.
Willingham's was the only recognized name that I could remember. The ribs..well...I didn't eat them all.
We bought more food from another vendor...just as expected-nasty!
My hat's off to the venue organizers though,quite a racket going on there.
The vendors utilize the "token" system so that there's no way a vendor can stray off the selling numbers at all.
The KCBS trailer was there...locked up tighter than pandora's box with no flyers or anything in sight-money well spent on advertising,huh.

My son and I went to one in Kalamazoo a couple of weeks ago. Most of it was below average, on e was okay, Chicago BBQ. We tried 4 vendors, all the BIG names. Should have tried the last vendor on the way out of the gate. Had a stick burner, just him and his wife, but by then I was so disappointed.:icon_frow

We now have two of these in Rochester, NY and the food is very below average. Easy to win 1st, 2nd or 3rd when there are only three vendors.

Back