A Brisket Confessional

Woody309

Reaction score
Until very recently I had no idea what burnt ends really were. I always assumed by the name that the ends of the brisket were supposed to char. I've never had this happen, so i figured I was missing a step. In fact, I was missing the whole point (my apologies). How silly of me.:crazy:

From what i understand, I separate the point from the flat, cut it into bite sized chunks, rub again, throw them back on the smoke until the new rub crusts again. Is that an accurate (if simplified) recipe?

Until very recently I had no idea what burnt ends really were. I always assumed by the name that the ends of the brisket were supposed to char. I've never had this happen, so i figured I was missing a step. In fact, I was missing the whole point (my apologies). How silly of me.:crazy:

From what i understand, I separate the point from the flat, cut it into bite sized chunks, rub again, throw them back on the smoke until the new rub crusts again. Is that an accurate (if simplified) recipe?
You can do that, if you must make burnt ends, some folks even sauce it after cubing...but I prefer to just eat the point sliced. Burnt ends used to just be the trimmed edges but popularity has turned it into a way to take the best part of the brisket and ruin it, IMO :becky:

There are several different types of burnt ends. The original reference is to cut-offs from smoked meat, that pieces that were too charred or barky for normal sale. These would be sold cheaper, as bunred ends, often soaked in sauce to soften them.

Over time, especially in KC, this was changed to taking the point, cubing it, rubbing it and smoking it an additional amount of time, to further render the fat. Sauce would be added by many, to increase flavor.

Finally, there is competition burnt ends, which are really brisket point chunks, that are sauce and returned to the cooker to set the sauce, but, are really not burnt, or charred in any way.

Personally, I prefer the point sliced, and I cook my entire brisket to produce a perfect slice of point and flat.

Yes. That will work.

But like the other fellas, I vote slice it and eat it.

You can do that, if you must make burnt ends, some folks even sauce it after cubing...but I prefer to just eat the point sliced. Burnt ends used to just be the trimmed edges but popularity has turned it into a way to take the best part of the brisket and ruin it, IMO :becky:
And How!

I sauce the cubes, place in a disposable square brownie tin, and place back on the fire tossing about every 10 minutes until marshmallow soft on the inside and sweet heat bark on the out.
I don't like it with more rub. I feel it's too 'fresh' or something and raw or pasty.
I like sweet baby Ray personally.
Candy beef yuuuummmmm

I'm going to try pork burnt ends for sure.

I stopped doing whole briskets long ago...everyone just ate the point and no one ate the lean flat. And my lean flat was top notch, but nothing holds a candle to the point.

So I just have my local butcher cut off the points for me. Usually end up around 7-11 lbs each point. I have him cut it straight down, so I still end up with a small chunk of thickest part of the flat, but it only amounts to about 25% of the total weight.

And he charges me about 15% less per pound since the point is a bit fattier! Win-Win!

Everyone is MUCH happier now that they can eat as much point as they want!

I chop the Point and pick out a lot of the fat- don't like fatty slices. Love the Flat Slices.

When i cook a packer the true burnt ends go to those few that i know appreciate Q. I call them irregulars. If i want "faux" burnt ends i do it out of chuck. I just love a properly cook slice of point too much. The leaner parts of the flat, if im not happy with, gets chopped and sauced or repurposed into other dishes (chili, enchiladas, tacos). Leftover brisket mixed with with cream cheese makes a killer abt filling.

When i cook a packer the true burnt ends go to those few that i know appreciate Q. I call them irregulars. If i want "faux" burnt ends i do it out of chuck. I just love a properly cook slice of point too much. The leaner parts of the flat, if im not happy with, gets chopped and sauced or repurposed into other dishes (chili, enchiladas, tacos). Leftover brisket mixed with with cream cheese makes a killer abt filling.

Yep.

never thought id agree so solidly with a longhorn lol

That sounds wonderful!

I chop the Point and pick out a lot of the fat- don't like fatty slices. Love the Flat Slices.

Same here Smitty. Flat slices are my favorite part, point gets chopped and used in tacos, chili, beans, etc.

Back