Striking out on rubs

They are commercially mixed at extreme discounts. They have professional mixing, measuring, and packaging equipment. In the end they have the quality control labs to provide you with a consistent product that will not change from cook to cook.
Not all of us do it exactly like that... Most do, but there are a very select few of us that actually still do everything by hand, in our own production facilities, blending frequently in very small batches using only the finest spices available, not standard commodity spices. I do test every new inbound spice shipment to make sure they meet our strict quality standards, and sometimes they get sent back. All this is done to ensure our customers always receive the finest rubs that can be purchased. But, I just wanted to be clear that even though we are self-distributed world wide, we are still doing it small-batch and 100% handmade.

I have had good luck with making my own rubs and sauces, but have come to the conclusion that what I make cant beat what I can buy. I agree Oakridge rubs, and blues hog sauce is hard to beat!

Nothing wrong with starting out the old fashion way... Salt and pepper. Taste the rub before you use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you are using BBQ sauce, that will have more of an impact than the rub (or salt & pepper). I think the flavor you get from rub is far less than the flavor your get from the meat, the smoke and the sauce (if using).

My favorite is Plowboys Bovine Bold, but I don't think that is something you want if you are looking for sweet. If you want sweet, try Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. Too sweet for me, but maybe you'll like it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE DIZZY PIG rubs! Get spun.I want to try the Oakridge and a few others too.

I also recommend Oakridge BBQ Rubs.

You can get a sampler pack for basically only the cost to ship it to you....

Not as good a deal, considering 2 of the 5 packets are throw-in fillers that folks would normally not use. Oak ridge has many better options than the varieties they chose to include in the 'sample' packs.

Not as good a deal, considering 2 of the 5 packets are throw-in fillers that folks would normally not use. Oak ridge has many better options than the varieties they chose to include in the 'sample' packs.

It's all a matter of personal taste.....

I'm not sure which ones would be throw-in fillers, but I have all of them in larger packages and use them regularly in the corresponding cook. If an individual chooses not to use one or two of them doesn't mean everyone else would do the same. We all have our own individual likes and tastes.

Includes:
Dominator Sweet Rib Rub - Nice background flavor with a hint of cinnamon
Competition Beef & Pork Rub - Awesome on Pork, a good versatile rub
Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub - Great on Pork or Chicken very savory
Game Bird & Chicken Rub - Great on spatchcocked chicken and cornish hens
Santa Maria Steak Seasoning - Great on steaks, burgers, and grilled rvrn vegetables. I also put this in my sausage gravy over biscuits.

Last edited:
Oakridge sampler pack!!! The Oak Ridge stuff works VERY well, liked all of them I've tried.

Simply Marvelous rubs taste super good, like you could eat them with a spoon! But in practice, I feel like you need to use much more than you should to get the flavor to show up. I use them on wings now and on pulled pork where I mix in a good amount after pulling.

The only rub I've found for DIY that's really a go-to type great thing is Meathead's Memphis Dust from amazingribs. I REALLY like it on ribs.

I'm not a fan of high paprika rubs and less of a fan of spicy hot, my regular go to rub is salt, pepper and garlic powder, if I want some sweet, I'll add brown sugar.
What I've done lately though is make a batch, or just buy it at Walmart, of ADOBO spice. Has all the regular spices of most rubs and isn't spicy hot, and is cheap to buy, or make.
I know this fly's in the face of "real" bbq, but it works for me. :grin:

Oh Lord, here comes the "real" bbq discussion...

Let me get a chair:biggrin1:

I've also tried and failed at getting consistent results with a complicated home-made rub. I hate to think about the time and $$ down the drain trying to make a special concoction, just to dump it after the cook because it didn't work out.
I've gone back to the K.I.S.S. theory and prep everything with 50/50 S&P.
Depends on the meat whether I actually rub it in or just dust it.
Most folks tell me they really enjoy the actual flavor of the meat rather that all the other stuff. If they insist on a sauce I'll offer something store bought as a dipping sauce.
I also add a little cayene if someone wants a little burn.

4ever, don't get cheeky, you know what I meant!:p

There's a place in Texas that caters to the BBQ world by supplying a good Rub variety you might like. The Grand Champion is the sweetest/least spicy of the bunch - perfect for pork. Great .company too.

My family also prefers sweeter rubs. Their favorites are Oakridge Dominator and also Killer Hogs BBQ rub.

I prefer more heat, so I usually add some Smokin Guns HOT to my portion if possible.

Meat mitch is one of my favorites right now. My wife is real picky with rubs being too hot and she loved it on ribs.

Also, meat church honey hog is good if you're looking for sweet as well.

Earlier in this thread, I was critical of the choices Oakridge made with their 5-pack sampler. They included two 'filler' packs alongside three of their top flavors.

I was mistaken however, thinking that the 5-pack sampler was the only option.

Perusing the website, I saw there was also a 10-pack sampler, which I *think* is one of everything that Oakridge sells. Much better! I asked the Mrs to get me the 10-pack for Xmas. She surprised me by also ordering seven full-sized packs of various rubs, so I'm set for quite a while. Overflowing with Oakridge.

The three I've tried so far have been quite good. Dominator was good on a couple racks of back ribs, Competition worked well on a sous vide pork tenderloin. But foremost, I am very impressed with the Secret Weapon mix. Best chicken I've had in a *long* time. Maybe the secret to this rub, is to not have salt as the dominant ingredient. Whatever, I heartily recommend Oakridge's Secret Weapon for chicken.

Back