Triple Dipped, Beer Battered "Fried' Chicken, off the grill?

MossyMO

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Saw a post of triple dipped, beer battered "fried' chicken off the grill using a Vortex and a Weber kettle and knew we had to try the recipe following it to a "T" on a kamado grill smoking with a chunk of apple wood [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]and chicken thighs[/FONT].

-----

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-----

Well I'll be danged... it was unbelievably crispy as any fried chicken we've ever had!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Thanks for looking![/FONT]

I've tried this a few times and always failed :mmph: Looks like I need to it another go. Nice! :thumb:

That's absolutely the closest look to fried chicken I've seen come off the grill. Nice job. What's the trick? Just the triple dip?

Wow!

I've never heard of the method to do this before, yours sure turned out nice!

That's absolutely the closest look to fried chicken I've seen come off the grill. Nice job. What's the trick? Just the triple dip?

I don't think it is the batter, my opinion is it is the intense indirect heat from the Vortex.

Will you post the recipe? I would like to try it.

[FONT=&quot]Seasoned with Owens BBQ Buffalo Wing seasoning, then followed the following recipe for the rest. But instead of fried I did them on the BGE around a full vortex of lump running 450º with a chunk of apple wood till an internal temp of at least 175º in the thighs.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/89268/triple-dipped-fried-chicken

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- 3 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups beer or water
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying

In one medium bowl, mix together 3 cups of flour, garlic salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 1/3 cups flour, salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, egg yolks and beer. You may need to thin with additional beer if the batter is too thick.

Moisten each piece of chicken with a little water, then dip in the dry mix. Shake off excess and dip in the wet mix, then dip in the dry mix once more.[/FONT]

Looks good!!! I want chicken for dinner now.

Couple different ways to do it. The high heat is the key. Do a search for KFC or Kettle Fried Chicken.

Back