Makin chips the hard way

roncoinc

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hickory and beer and a hatchet..

tedious work.

lay a piece down on the concrete block and wack it,,chase the pieces.

repeat.

MVC-905F.jpg

Been there, done that. Just watch your fingers. I always wear a glove on my left hand, too many close calls, too many times.

Matt

6 wooden pieces left from my count.
A beer for each wooden piece to be chopped.
And you may not have any fingers left, by drinking beer and chopping the piece of wood.
Be careful with your fingers

6 wooden pieces left from my count.
A beer for each wooden piece to be chopped.
And you may not have any fingers left, by drinking beer and chopping the piece of wood.
Be careful with your fingers

NOT to worry !! :)

i leave them flat on the block and whack !!

fingers no where near :)

used them up and had to put in some apple chunks already split to have enuf to cook whatever it was ?? oh yeh ! rib's !! :)

the reason i make them so small is because it takes little heat to get them to smoking and the temp stays low without cooking much and that smoke just roll's around the product and soaks in,,,a full rack of rib's is plenty smoked after two hours..

those chip's with the apple chunks finished a full rack in four hours start to finish.

I have another i tore apart and put metal on the bottom and build a wood fire off to the side and cook in direct,,,then spread the coals out and slide the grates over the coals to finish.. :)

then theres the ring of rocks i have for a fire pit i put a metal grill over and cook on.

then the hole in the ground i build a massive fire in and put rocks in to heat and cover with wet sea weed and bury lobster and corn and what ever and lay a wet tarp over and cover with dirt/sand.

i am NOT a conventional cooker :)

Cool. I've been scoping CL for a gasser as my last one died years ago.

I buy the $150 ones at the grocery store ,one every year and re purpose them down the line :)

the side burners they come with make great burners for chips.

put a shelf under the old grill and mount the burner with a piece of stove pipe
to direct the smoke up into a hole in the bottom of the grill ..

to finish cooking turn on the out side burners :)

Dang brother you have run out of something to do.:shock:

Back