New UDS

cieglo

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Built my first smoker - my Red-Tailed UDS. (hopefully it is attached)

I've cooked it out with 2 bags of Kingsford and this weekend I plan on smoking some ribs and a brisket.

I have a couple questions, if y'all don't mind.

1. Charcoal. How much? With a 13lb bag of Kingsford glowing in there and a digital bluetooth thermometer I read the heat (all the valves open) getting up to and holding at 325-350F. I was just burning out the drum stink. It held heat for over 8 hours.

2. Ribs: Seems like I need to get the temp down to 250-275F (averaging all the posts I've read here), smoke it bones down with a dry rub for 2 hours, wrap it in foil for an hour and then mop it with sauce for 30min or so. Sound right?

I put a drip tray/heat baffle under the center of the grill. I think I'm going to float some beer in there for moisture & a hint of IPA in the meat.

3. Brisket...it'll fit. I'll mine the forums for cooking instructions...

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 214
1. You can put as much as you need for the cook. Just don't light them all. I usually light about 10-12 then throw them back on top of the unlit in the center of my basket.
2. The rib questions may throw some people out of whack. Everyone here has there own style. Test out foiling vs no foiling. See what you and your family like.
3. I bet you fit 2 med briskeys or 1 monster.
Go have fun. That thing will make some real deal q

Don't know about the control yet. I've only done a "full-heat" burn on it. This will be my first cook. I was worried about sucking exhaust back in...but that didn't appear to be a problem.

Looks very nice. You should call it a PDS... Pretty Drum Smoker. Does it have a bottle opener yet?

Funny you should ask...
I have a bottle opener on my workbench just for this purpose, but i haven't rummaged through my hardware jars to find the right nuts'n'bolts to mount it yet.

Looks good! Do you have any heat control issues having your intakes above your exhaust?

Seen posts where air flow will reverse out of the intakes when higher than exhaust. Might be an issue at some point.

Don't know about the control yet. I've only done a "full-heat" burn on it. This will be my first cook. I was worried about sucking exhaust back in...but that didn't appear to be a problem.

If it did then its all good...double smoked food! ;))

Nice build

Sounds like your max temp is just right for smoking anything you want. If you want a higher temp, lower the intake pipe.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. If the first smoke looks good I'll post pics, flavor graphs, drool measurements, etc. If not...we'll just pretend it never happened.

[edit] For grins..a pic of my heat baffle, drip-pan, beer-boiler...

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for all the replies and feedback. If the first smoke looks good I'll post pics, flavor graphs, drool measurements, etc. If not...we'll just pretend it never happened.

[edit] For grins..a pic of my heat baffle, drip-pan, beer-boiler...

Not sure I see the bottle opener in your pic!

Back