Pulled Beef, Rain, Power Outages and a little bit of PrOn

sliding_billy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This cook was less than fun, but the results made it worth it. Found a close to 3# chuck on sale that had good marbling. Got up early and fired the DC up since there was no rain in the forecast. Beef was rubbed wit course salt and pepper along with a little bit of Worcestershire. Oops! About a half hour into the cook, we got a torrential downpour and a few brownouts with a power outage. Had to move the pooper to the middle of the patio while cooking and get the wires out of the water. I honestly contemplated using the crock pot LOL. It was too hot for the oven. The rain stopped after about 1/2 hour, and the power came back on about 5 minutes into the outage. Foiled the pan at around 160 degrees and let it steep with some beef broth. Lose pulled the beef, and got rid of most of the extra liquid, then put it back in for a half hour without foil to finish reducing and thickening. Guess what... another power outage. Was about to just deal with what I had when the power came back on again after 5 minutes. I assume this outage was a grid reset since it went down without browning and came back the same way. It was bright blue skies on top of that. Anyways, reset the pooper again and let it cook down a bit then. Beef was able to be shredded. I was going to eat it as is, but I was in the mood for some sauce so I added just a little bit of SBR. As you can see, there is a gap in the pics while I cursed and fought the weather and such. Grand scheme of thimgs, it was worth it I guess.

Lookin good!

Electrical dependency was one of the reasons I dumped my Traeger and went with charcoal and wood. Had too many issues before or in the middle of a cook, and was always put off by rain...never again!

A couple minor disasters always seem to make it taste better. Looks like you nailed it. :thumb:

Back