Smoking wood question

Steve S

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I've got a couple of good-sized cherry trees on my lot that I have been told are pie cherry trees. The cherries are small and tart and not good for anything I would with them. Would the wood smoke similar to regular cherry wood? Dumb question?

Yep sure would be, I actually like the fruit variety better than the kind used in wood working aka black cherry.

Thanks Norm. Both trees are 5 to 6 inches at the butt and should make for some good rounds and chunks. Cooking on my WSM's I should never have to buy wood again.

As far as I know Cherry is Cherry, hickory is hickory, oak is oak. I've read where several guys say there's not much variation in smoke flavor of the same species. Could be wrong. Just something I've read a dozen times. I've heard something like wild cherry has a deeper flavor than your regular cherry trees tho.

I use dwarf and black cherry and can't tell the difference.

The wood will be fine.

BTW--small tart cherries make great cherry preserves or pies if you reconsider cutting them down.

You can also make cherry sauce for pork by cooking them up with spices and sugar similar to making chunky applesauce.

Great post Roland. I'm harvesting all sorts of local wind fruits. Cherry, peach, apples, pears. Crazy bounty.

Cherry is cherry in my experience, I've tried the wild cherrys, ornamentals and they all work out great....cherry is my favorite all around smoke wood, I've used it on beef, pork, chicken, bacon, fish and it works well for all of it.

Back