• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Lang-Finally!

Didn't take too long after I started adding wood splits to the charcoal. Splits were as recommended about the diameter of a soda can and not much larger. Some were longer than others bit the smoke stayed clean and only stayed white for a bit after adding the splits. Once they caught you could hardly see smoke from the stack. It was raining so there was more steam visible than smoke.
I ran the charcoal in an effort to also cure the paint since I know the smoker was in the paint booth at about 3PM yesterday so it's less than 24Hrs old.
The other reason for the charcoal was to see if I could run it at 200 or less since I plan to smoke some belly for bacon in a couple of weeks.
All went well but I still need to work on the cook temp control.
I've heard that nose up or down can effect the temp spread across the main chamber. During the seasoning burn it varied between 50 to 90 degrees from the nose to the fire side and about 40 hotter on the upper rack over the lower rack.
So now what to cook first.... Ribs, chicken, butt?? I'll save brisket for a little later.

Is that cast on the left foot the result of having to jump over the back fence? Sorry, just had to ask. :p

Is that cast on the left foot the result of having to jump over the back fence? Sorry, just had to ask. :p

My official story is I broke it jumping out the window of a hot 21 year old married woman.
I't's a shame that my story has nothing to do with the fact that, after 30 years in the Navy, steels decks, and falling off ice slick aircraft wings, I had to have some corrective surgery.
The "official" version is the one I lay claim to but I have no plans to run for any elected office! :loco:

Not to get too mushy here, but I know all of the Brethren here are very thankful for your years of service to the United States.

As to your "official story", I would have had a heart attack and died just being in the room with a 21 year old. Never would have made it to a window.

There is nothing like the scent of a freshly seasoned cooker....someone needs to make a men's cologne with the same aroma.:yo::plane:

So after several weeks of no rain it appears my new arrival came with some much needed water. That's steam, not smoke, coming off it.
Seems I still don't know how to resize to get the right view of the pic.

Attachments

• 20160827_134102.jpg
    20160827_134102.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 211
As usual, an awesome thread about a great new smoker, a deserving new owner, and the hopes and dreamed to come. It's shaping up to be a fantastic Labor Day weekend at your house!

Very nice, I know you can hardly wait to cook on it. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. I love new cooker threads.

congrats on the new 60d love mine ive lined the firebox and tunnle under the searplate with 1" firebrick helps with stabilizing temps also put some on top of firebox helps to prevent the splits from catching fire when pre heating get a stovepipe therm. to put on side of firebox will help with fire mang. :clap2::clap2:

congrats on the new 60d love mine ive lined the firebox and tunnle under the searplate with 1" firebrick helps with stabilizing temps also put some on top of firebox helps to prevent the splits from catching fire when pre heating get a stovepipe therm. to put on side of firebox will help with fire mang. :clap2::clap2:

Did you put the temp gage just above the stovepipe baffel?
Also, do you use the baffel or firebox pinwheels for temp control?

Congrats and hope you enjoy cooking on it.

Back