Pepper Stout Beef Variations?

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to cook this tomorrow for the first time. The original recipe sounds solid but was wondering if anyone had tried any variations on the recipe? Off hand I think I will be adding some whole grain mustard to the braise after shredding. And even though it would be a different dish altogether, has anyone tried using wine instead of beer?

I almost bough mushrooms for this dish but decided to try it as is. When I shred the meat I may add some mustard after I taste test.

For my first chuckie............ I substituted red wine and beef broth for the beer. loved it.

I've done this recipe probably 6 or 7 times, and can never taste the flavor profile that the Guinness gives, I'm not sure the beer matters.

I've done this recipe probably 6 or 7 times, and can never taste the flavor profile that the Guinness gives, I'm not sure the beer matters.

If you wouldn't drink it you shouldn't cook with it. Cooking beer, wine or vinegar only intensifies the flavor.

I like to use beef broth, with a bell pepper, 1 or 2 Anaheim's and an onion. I go kind of light on the broth, then at the end add a little broth with some corn starch in it. Not enough to make jello.....just enough to thicken what broth is left, to something between broth and gravy.

It's kind of a mix between the recipes I've seen here and one I saw the BBQ Pitboys do.

(It was their po boy beef sandwich recipe.)

Last edited:
I like to use beef broth, with a bell pepper, 1 or 2 Anaheim's and an onion. I go kind of light on the broth, then at the end add a little broth with some corn starch in it. Not enough to make jello.....just enough to thicken what broth is left, to something between broth and gravy.

It's kind of a mix between the recipes I've seen here and one I saw the BBQ Pitboys do.

(It was their po boy beef sandwich recipe.)

Sound good. I may try and thicken my sauce a little if it is very wet when I shred it.

I did Shiner, Onions, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, and Jalapeno's for my first. It was great...

I did Shiner, Onions, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, and Jalapeno's for my first. It was great...

I started to add shrooms, but decided to cut cost. I couldn't believe I spent $200 still! Not just on this meal though

Last edited:
Back