Picking up my new SF smoker in the morning

JXLT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well after almost 5 months the day has finally arrived. Paul called me this afternoon and told me my smoker would be ready in the morning. I have a question for all of the SF smoker owners. When seasoning my new cooker, I know I should coat everything with some type of oil (Prob will use spray vegetable oil). My question is how long do I need to run this thing to get it properly seasoned? Do I need to throw something on to cook while I'm breaking her in? one more thing, do you guys put anything on the outside to help the paint cure? I've read that some people use everything from cooking oil to WD-40, but some of those practices sound questionable at best. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm sure Paul will have advice for you. As the pit cools I'd wipe the outside down - including firebox- with a peanut oil soaked rag for first few cooks or all of them.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUlWWIkcYGs[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ORRN8lZWU[/ame]

How will you be able to sleep tonight? I'm excited for you.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep. My wife already told me that she hoped I didn't plan on a trip at dawn in the morning so I guess I will have to patiently wait for a few more hours. :crazy:

Seems like if you left early, you could pick it up, return, burn it in that night, and be ready to cook on it Sunday. Just saying...

to season it I would coat the inside with your choice of oil and fire it up. I usually run around 250 for an hour or so then ramp it up to 300-350 for at least 2 hours. Then I will drop it back down for at least another 2 or 3 hours. After I am finished and the pit gets down cool to the touch I wipe the outsides down with a rag with oil on it. Don't try WD-40 it leaves a sticky residue that dirt and dust love to stick to and it is hard to get off. I tried that once.

I vacuumed the inside, wire brushed any rust, washed the grills, blew compressed air on the grill to remove as much water as possible, spayed every internal with peanut oil. Got the cooker to 300 and maintained for 3 or so hours. Congrats on your purchase. Paul can help you when you get there. Have a safe trip.

Congratulations on the new pit! I hear nothing but great things about SF cookers.

Very timely thread here as well, as I just ordered my new pit from Paul & Tyler.
Let the anticipatory wait begin!

Ask the builders what they suggest. I have sprayed Pam to use to season. Cook a naked fatty. That has lots of grease. Congrats and enjoy

I'd stick to using a peanut oil rag or spray bottle, then wipe it down. I coated everything inside and out for the initial seasoning, and still occasionally wipe down the FB and immediate area around it before a cook. I, like you, payed good money for the cooker, a little oil to keep it looking good is a no brainer to me.

Congrats and post lots of pron. Man you're in for a treat. I'm still in the clouds from taking delivery of my LSG offset yesterday. :p

so22q1.jpg

More pics coming

I'm trying to figure out what size they need to be. I'm still uploading pics to the host site. I fired it up when I got home and it was running about 7-8 degrees difference end to end. The temp dropped a couple of degrees and I threw another log on. It leveled off right around 250 and stayed within .2, yes, that's 2/10 of a degree end to end. I can't believe how well built this cooker is! I knew they always look great but that kind of temp consistency is insane.

Back