Smoked Shark.

Badgerjacob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I normally cut shark fillets and leave them skin on and place over direct heat with the skin side down. They are excellent on the BBQ. Kinda has a shrimp or lobster texture. I have been thinking about giving one a smoke bath. This guy was caught while fishing for catfish in fresh water about 6-7 miles downriver from my place. He was caught about 80 miles from the gulf. Anyone else got a palate for shark?

13%20152-L.jpg

Never had it but would definitely give it a try! Nice catch by the way

I'd give it a go. I like grilled Shark and it smoked Shark sounds great.

Kind of unusual for him to be that far up, isn't it?

Yes, very unusual to catch one that far from the gulf, but not unusual for them being there. They are everywhere. They can be caught regularly if you know how to fish for them.

I'd give it a go. I like grilled Shark and it smoked Shark sounds great.

Kind of unusual for him to be that far up, isn't it?

Pretty sure that is a bull, not a blacktip. They are adaptable to fresh water and have been caught many miles upstream.

Personally not a fan of shark. Texture is good, but flavor is off. A lot to do with the fact that they urinate through their skin. I used to catch black tips. I would bleed them very well, head and gut immediately. Still could not get that nasty taste out of them. And black tip is supposedly one of the more edible sharks on the gulf. Spinner sharks, which look like black tips are straight up nasty, as are Atlantic Sharpnose, which are the most common.

Would sure be curious to try it sometime! My dad's crew would catch them on the boats in Alaska occasionally. He brought us kids home a dried skin and the jaw bones once, but never got to try the meat!

I've had grilled shark steak but not smoked. That's something I wouldn't want swimming in the water close to my house. lol Yes I'm a wuss!!

I scored a bunch of shark from a fisherman buddy and used it in a gumbo. Came out great. A friend who's buck wild for Vietnamese food chicken fries shark and uses it in banh mi sandwiches.

Brined and smoked a mako steak once, turned out fantastic.

Shark steaks are great, I'm guessing quick butchering gets the blood out of the meat before the ammonia can accumulate.I recall seeing an episode of Wicked Tuna where the loser of a bet had to eat a particular variety of shark was notoriously strong with ammonia.

They don't actually excrete through their skin:
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2004-05/1084305052.Gb.r.html

One of my son's friends caught a blacktip in south LA and brought us some filets. I spiced them with Tony C's and fried them. They were awesome! I smoke catfish filets in an aluminum pan with worchesteshire and Italian dressing and they are very good, might work for shark.

Jack

I would cut mine in steaks with the skin around the outside. You do need to bleed them right away and cool as fast as possible. I always thought they had great texture but were really bland so needed a lot of seasoning....Never did smoke any but I bet that would be good.

I usually soak mine in milk, drain and then marinate in Italian dressing. Then they get a quick search on the grill. No skin on them though...

I've had grilled not smoked. Similar texture as swordfish. White firm flesh. Growing up in north Florida we fished/caught a good amount of shark. As we were broke ass kids we ate the fish steaks, sold the fins to a local Chinaman for his shark fin soup, and sold the cleaned jaws to the Georgia tourist who came to visit. Not much wet to waste.

Back