Thanks D&D! That restaurant your friend found is owned by a friend of Noah from Pit Barrel. If I'm not mistaken its at least partially how Noah got the idea for the PBC. Not stealing his friends idea but more like they both started a business from a way of cooking they did growing up. I think Bob may know the story better so hopefully he will chime in and add to or correct me if I'm wrong....lol.

You got it right Andrew. Cooking in barrels was very popular in the neighborhood that Noah and his buddy grew up in. Forgot the town's name but it was somewhere in California.

They both have been successful but went at from different ends.

Didn't Noah get the PBC idea when he was on tours overseas? IIRC, the story was that when they missed bbq they used drums to smoke meat in. His originally from Orange County.

Didn't Noah get the PBC idea when he was on tours overseas? IIRC, the story was that when they missed bbq they used drums to smoke meat in. His originally from Orange County.

I read that too. But I think they either misquoted him or misunderstood what he was saying. He basically used barrels while deployed to cook meat but the idea/technique was from his time in CA. I suppose the reaction from the guys he cooked for could be why he decided to start selling the PBC.
After writing this and thinking about it, it was probably both experiences that led to the PBC....Either way I'm happy he did it!

I read that too. But I think they either misquoted him or misunderstood what he was saying. He basically used barrels while deployed to cook meat but the idea/technique was from his time in CA. I suppose the reaction from the guys he cooked for could be why he decided to start selling the PBC.
After writing this and thinking about it, it was probably both experiences that led to the PBC....Either way I'm happy he did it!

Yep! I read an article on him and the PBC start up before he BLEW UP on a OC newspaper. I know the city name too but don't want to put it out there for privacy reasons.

I'm surprised they still allow you to burn charcoal in the People's Republic.

Did 2 brined birds on the PBC today and they turned out great as usual. I made the brine last night and soaked the chickens for about 8 hours today before cooking. After removing from the brine I patted them dry and placed in the fridge for about 2 hours. After dumping the coals I sprinkled each chick with a liberal dose of PBC Beef and Game.

I set the PartyQ for 325, let the barrel settle down a bit and hung the birds. I checked the thighs at one hour and found that they were only about 145 degrees so cracked the lid and set the PQ for 375. Another 20 minutes and the chicken was perfect, i.e., tasty, nice color, crisp skin, and moist inside. What more can one ask for?

View attachment 134602

After reading all of this I have come to the conclusion that is HAS to be ME doing something wrong with the chicken:doh:. I will try some wings or some form of chicken this weekend.

I will be transporting my PBC for Thanksgiving Dinner this year at my sister's house in Texas. We'll be using it for the turkey and I'm sure I'll smoke something the night before. After that it'll be leftovers. The below pic was when I brought it over o my dad's for the start of football season.

Attachments

• PBC-hitch.jpg
    PBC-hitch.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 156
I will be transporting my PBC for Thanksgiving Dinner this year at my sister's house in Texas. We'll be using it for the turkey and I'm sure I'll smoke something the night before. After that it'll be leftovers. The below pic was when I brought it over o my dad's for the start of football season.

Now that's a man with a plan! Looks like you'll have no problems transporting it back and forth. An early Happy Turkey Day to you!

I'm in need of some suggestions to throw on my PBC. I am super happy with my brisket, ribs, chicken thighs, wings...all the standard stuff. But sometimes I want something that is different, can be a quick prep and can be hung. Would love to hear what you all cook when faced with a similar thought. Let's hear it!

I'm in need of some suggestions to throw on my PBC. I am super happy with my brisket, ribs, chicken thighs, wings...all the standard stuff. But sometimes I want something that is different, can be a quick prep and can be hung. Would love to hear what you all cook when faced with a similar thought. Let's hear it!

I do pork tenderloin a lot. They are great cold out of the fridge too and only take 1-1.5 hours on the PBC. And they will hang but I also do them on the grate. Have you messed with appetizers yet? ABTs or a Fatty? On the grate not hanging but I use the hinged grate, hang a couple of tenderloin on one side and do Apps on the other side.

I do pork tenderloin a lot. They are great cold out of the fridge too and only take 1-1.5 hours on the PBC. And they will hang but I also do them on the grate. Have you messed with appetizers yet? ABTs or a Fatty? On the grate not hanging but I use the hinged grate, hang a couple of tenderloin on one side and do Apps on the other side.

Pork tenderloin is something I need to do. Haven't tried apps yet, but do have a Jimmy Dean hot waiting to go on. Wish I had a tenderloin here to cook during tonight's game!

Hi all! I've had my PBC for a couple of weeks Coast Guard labeled. I've made ribs chicken and. Ribs again today.

Mine seems to run hot. At least this cook. I used a basket with half new half from my last cook. I lit 35 briquettes in my Webber chimney for 12 min. Dumped in. I put the ribs in 20 min later checked the temp and I'm at 430?

I usually dump in one corner with 36 and seem to run 330. Not sure how you folks get down to 275. I have my vent at a 1/4 if not less.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Hi all! I've had my PBC for a couple of weeks Coast Guard labeled. I've made ribs chicken and. Ribs again today.

Mine seems to run hot. At least this cook. I used a basket with half new half from my last cook. I lit 35 briquettes in my Webber chimney for 12 min. Dumped in. I put the ribs in 20 min later checked the temp and I'm at 430?

I usually dump in one corner with 36 and seem to run 330. Not sure how you folks get down to 275. I have my vent at a 1/4 if not less.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Welcome Repeater!
What thermometer are you running and where is it placed?
How tight does your lid fit?
How did the ribs turn out and how long did it take to cook them?
Oh and was it windy outside during your cook

Not windy. I do see smoke coming from under the lid but not a torrent, just wisps of smoke. I used my chef alarm on the rebar. I also tested with my thermo pen at the vent.

I wrapped the ribs at 185. I'm putting them back on when the kids get home. It's dry here in Phoenix so not a humidity problem.

I just checked and it's stable at 414. I'm pretty sure last time I was in the high 300 range but that was with my thermo pen in the rebar hole.

Yeah 414 is way high. Get a leather glove or a magnet or something and cover about half of the intake and see what happens

Back