• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Soup?

B

BrooklynQ

I got a craving for soup.

I guess this is due to spending hours in cold rain over the weekend, but I love soup. I make lots of soups, cream of mushroom, chicken noodle, grilled chicken vegetable, vegetable barley, oxtail, tomato, tomato bisque, cream of tomato, smoked tomato, cream of smoked tomato, split pea, navy bean, lentil. Oh I could go on and on. I love soup almost as much as I love barbeque.

So what's the point?

Any brethren have any recipes for soup using the pit to supply ingredients? I already do split pea with ham bones/hocks or even butt bones from the pit and the smoked tomato soups listed above.

I need some new ideas folks.

How about using left over pulled pork to make Posole?

Smoked Chicken Noodle?

Brisket in Minestrone?

beef stew, Split pea and lentil are soups I add to the pit after they are assembled and they pick up a little smoke.

"Beer Onion and Sausage" soup I make IN the pit...

This works well IN the water pan of a bandera or SKD.. PLEASE LINE the water pan. In a horizontal, do it in a foil pan in the hot spot next to the firebox. But it works just as well if you just get it boiling on the stove, then add it to a 250 degree pit for a however long needed.

Start with a bunch of garlic cloves, at least 5-6 Vidalia onions, a bay leaf and fill the pan with beer.. Add some worsey sauce, and a touch of red hot to taste. Put the pan in the hot spot of the pit while other stuff is cooking. Cook until the onions are softened. Now either add some crumbled, parcooked bulk sausage and cook for another 30 minutes.

while thats cooking down, in the pit, toast some hard bread with mozerella on top...

when soups done, spoon the soup and onions over the toasted cheese bread.

Or, instead of the bulk sausage, add a bunch of brats and cook the brats in the soup until cooked thru.

Soup can be 'sampled' at anytime.. when brats are cooked thru, roll them over the hot coals for a minute, then serve in a dish covered with the soup.

WillyB has his own variation of this recipe. :shock: maybe he would want to share his version later.

Oh!, smoked bacon and potato soup. Beercan chicken and dumplins.:eek:

thirdeye's recipe is actually a version of Senate Bean Soup and mine is looking more like soup now (4 hours) than a thick baked bean dish. The recipe and pics are on his website.

Arlin_MacRae said:
YUM! Cream of smoked tomato soup???

Yup - take a bunch of roma tomatoes. Remove any type of stem. Slice open lengthwise. Lay out on a sheet pan. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Smoke for a couple of hours till they're soft and soupy and reduced in size by about 1/3.

In a soup pot, sweat a chopped up an onion and a stalk of chopped celery in butter. When translucent add some water, some chicken or vegetable stock. Put in a bay leaf. Carfully take the tomatoes off the pan,hold a few off to the side. Put the rest into the soup pot including any juices that have accumilated on the slices into the soup pot. Add some thyme and a very very light pinch of powdered ginger. Simmer until everything just about falls apart.

Take out the bay leaf and discard. Put the soup mixture thru a sieve to remove seeds and skins. Press it firmly to break up the onions, celery and tomatos. Put everything back into the pot.

Add a small shot of brandy, and whisk in a pint of heay cream. Heat until warm, but do not boil. Taste for seasonings adding salt pepper and/or sugar as needed.

If the soup isn't thick enough, you can add a little roux or simmer it down to the conistency you like. You can also thicken it with some cream cheese and sugar. (The sugar tones down the sourness of the cream cheese)

Chop up the tomatoes you pulled aside at the begining, some fresh parsley and maybe a little ciffonade of basil if you want a more Italian flavor and add to all of that to the soup. Heat a little more until the newly added chopped tomatoes are warm and serve.

Sorry I don't measure anything when I cook.

BBQchef33 said:
beef stew, Split pea and lentil are soups I add to the pit after they are assembled and they pick up a little smoke.

"Beer Onion and Sausage" soup I make IN the pit...

This works well IN the water pan of a bandera or SKD.. PLEASE LINE the water pan. In a horizontal, do it in a foil pan in the hot spot next to the firebox. But it works just as well if you just get it boiling on the stove, then add it to a 250 degree pit for a however long needed.

Start with a bunch of garlic cloves, at least 5-6 Vidalia onions, a bay leaf and fill the pan with beer.. Add some worsey sauce, and a touch of red hot to taste. Put the pan in the hot spot of the pit while other stuff is cooking. Cook until the onions are softened. Now either add some crumbled, parcooked bulk sausage and cook for another 30 minutes.

while thats cooking down, in the pit, toast some hard bread with mozerella on top...

when soups done, spoon the soup and onions over the toasted cheese bread.

Or, instead of the bulk sausage, add a bunch of brats and cook the brats in the soup until cooked thru.

Soup can be 'sampled' at anytime.. when brats are cooked thru, roll them over the hot coals for a minute, then serve in a dish covered with the soup.

WillyB has his own variation of this recipe. :shock: maybe he would want to share his version later.

The beer, do you use a light beer like a corona or a thick guiness type beer?

BrooklynQ said:
Yup - take a bunch of roma tomatoes. Remove any type of stem. Slice open lengthwise. Lay out on a sheet pan. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Smoke for a couple of hours till they're soft and soupy and reduced in size by about 1/3.

In a soup pot, sweat a chopped up an onion and a stalk of chopped celery in butter. When translucent add some water, some chicken or vegetable stock. Put in a bay leaf. Carfully take the tomatoes off the pan,hold a few off to the side. Put the rest into the soup pot including any juices that have accumilated on the slices into the soup pot. Add some thyme and a very very light pinch of powdered ginger. Simmer until everything just about falls apart.

Take out the bay leaf and discard. Put the soup mixture thru a sieve to remove seeds and skins. Press it firmly to break up the onions, celery and tomatos. Put everything back into the pot.

Add a small shot of brandy, and whisk in a pint of heay cream. Heat until warm, but do not boil. Taste for seasonings adding salt pepper and/or sugar as needed.

If the soup isn't thick enough, you can add a little roux or simmer it down to the conistency you like. You can also thicken it with some cream cheese and sugar. (The sugar tones down the sourness of the cream cheese)

Chop up the tomatoes you pulled aside at the begining, some fresh parsley and maybe a little ciffonade of basil if you want a more Italian flavor and add to all of that to the soup. Heat a little more until the newly added chopped tomatoes are warm and serve.

Sorry I don't measure anything when I cook.

Bloody hell, Rob - that sounds fantastic! I'm like you when it comes to measuring. I cook by the seat of the pants which, although it sounds funny, is the only way to go!

Bloody hell, Rob - that sounds fantastic! I'm like you when it comes to measuring. I cook by the seat of the pants which, although it sounds funny, is the only way to go!

You mean I have to wear pants:eek:

Use any potato soup recipe.

You could smoke bake the potatoes and add smoked thick cut chopped bacon.

For the smoked chicken and dumplins:
Boil chicken broth or stock with salt & pepper and a diced onion and celery until vegies are soft. Milk can be added to help thicken. Add in smoked chicken pieces. We make dumplins with the recipe on the back of Pioneer baking mix. It's like Bisquick. Add poulty season (you could add poultry rub) to the mix and make dumplins as directed. Drop the dumplin mix in by the spoonfuls and slowly stir. Allow to boil for 10min. Reduce heat and cover for 10 min.

In a pinch, once the dumplins are all gone, you can bring back to a boil and drop in cheap fridge biscuits that have been quartered. Will stretch it out if needed for leftovers.

thunderbelly said:
The beer, do you use a light beer like a corona or a thick guiness type beer?

use anything you want, I've used real crap beer(schaefer) and decent stuff like becks, but I like it best with Sam adams Lager....have mixed in a couple bottles of becks dark, but never tried it with all dark beer. Once its all boiled up, even the schaefer tasted good..

thats why you will see schaefer cans in pictures from the bashes.. We used it to boil brats in or saute onions... but someone usually wound up drinking it too.

you could try a cassoulet recipe substituting bbq'd meats for those usually used. it's not really a soup. more like a stew i guess, but really good in the fall and winter.

phil

Back