My Weber smokey mountain mods

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
There is more to this video than just the mods. There is a fun story here, but I can't really say much about it other than as bbq guys, I know you guys will appreciate it. Also, as bbq guys you'll probably already be familiar with most of these mods but feel free to watch for the story. You'll get a kick out of it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X99a9y-AEbM"]My Weber Smokey Mountain modifications and a crazy story! | WSM tips, tricks, mods - YouTube[/ame]

That's funny. Nice video

Nice Vid now go put a lid hinge on it :biggrin1:

Dude that's funny.

Check out the frank cox smokerbuilderplans online. I was looking at some UDS parts there and he's got a really cool WSM door upgrade. If I had a WSM, I'd be all over that.

My dad did the same thing except it was his old truck. Missed having a work type pickup. Told the dealer what he was looking for. They searched and searched, and then about a year after he sold it, they found his old truck for him, but neither realized it until he went to check it out.

As far as the ashes go, why wouldn't you just turn it upside down into an ash bin? Thats what I did when I had a wsm. The bottom portion is very light, and it seems less messy than scooping.

As far as the ashes go, why wouldn't you just turn it upside down into an ash bin? Thats what I did when I had a wsm. The bottom portion is very light, and it seems less messy than scooping.
Yep.

My dad did the same thing except it was his old truck. Missed having a work type pickup. Told the dealer what he was looking for. They searched and searched, and then about a year after he sold it, they found his old truck for him, but neither realized it until he went to check it out.

I like the scoop because our trash can our back isn't that big and I don't like dumping into it with the 22 inch base. You are right though, it's not that heavy.

That's incredibly cool about the truck.

That blows me away that it even went up for sale to begin with seeing that it had those modifications. Very funny story and great video! Glad your got reaquainted with your cooker! :thumb:

Not a mod, but an accessory you might enjoy is a hanging rack.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7473-Expandable-Smoking-22-Inch/dp/B00FDOOP72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484379274&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+hanging+rack[/ame]

See, this is why I love this board. I didn't even know there WAS a hinge. Link?

Here's a link to one. There are a few places that sell them now.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Hinge-Smokey-Mountain-release/dp/B00KAH3CLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484379562&sr=8-1&keywords=Wsm+hinge"]Amazon.com : WSM Stainless Lid Hinge Kit, Weber Smokey Mountain Grill 18.5 22.5 quick release : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

I fabricated an aluminum ash pan with handle(for easy lift out) that sits in the base.

Attachments

• 20170114_103457.jpg
    20170114_103457.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 20170114_103558.jpg
    20170114_103558.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20170114_104006.jpg
    20170114_104006.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 143
Back