Newbie from Michigan

Detroitdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroitdad

Hey everyone,

I'm obviously new to the forum. I'm looking forward to reading through the threads, seeing what equipment, cooking techniques, ect....that everyone is using.

I'm from Ypsilanti, MI. 10 miles east of Ann Arbor, about 30 miles west of Detroit. 47 ish, several adult kids and a grandson. Married to my wife for 27 years and still going strong :)

My primary hobby is playing poker and collecting poker chips and poker chip sets. I have a custom clay set and several high end sets that I've acquired over the years. The only other forum outside of this one that I'm a member of is a poker chip forum.

For about 10 years I talked about getting a charcoal grill and moving away from propane. I missed the flavor that cooking with wood or charcoal brought to the food. Three years ago my kids got me a small charcoal grill for Fathers Day. After cooking on it once I never looked back. Three years later the Propane grill was just collecting dust. I gave it to my daughter.

The next year my wife upgraded my charcoal grill (sure its nothing like what is on display here, but for now it works). She even had assembled it for me while I was at work and picked up some steaks for me to break it in :)

This previous summer I started experimenting with different cooking techniques. I ended up grilling 3-5 times a week. I was grilling anything and everything that I could get my hands on. I was mostly leaning by trial and error. Screwed up a few things, but boy once I figured it out, wow................I don't have a smoker yet (hope that doesn't get me band from the site). I do a lot of my cooking via indirect heat and I do my best to infuse some smoke into the foods.

I make my a couple of my own BBQ sauces. I can't claim credit for "creating" them. I pulled them from online and tweaked them until I was happy with them. The two main ones that I make are a Spicy Bourbon BBQ sauce and a Jalapeno Blue Berry BBQ sauce.

I recently cooked a Turkey breast on the grill and it was one of the best pieces of meat I have eaten in a long time. The wife made a brine for it. I slow cooked it on the indirect side of the grill for a few hours. Easy peasy!!!

Nothing like BBQ Chicken and grilled Romaine :)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to improving my grilling skills via this community.

The last few days I've been researching different BBQ forums. Basically I'm trying to find an active forum to improve my skills on the grill. If the forum has a friendly and fun off topic section then that is even better. As time permits I'm looking forward to surfing this community and getting to you guys better.

Bill

Welcome to the forum, Detroit!

Tons of info here and great members to learn from!

You're gonna love it here.

Kudos to your wife. Not many would attempt to put a grill together AND buy steaks!

Welcome, Bill!

If you're looking for active, you definitely came to the right place. There's a forum called "The Wood Pile" for off topic BSing..

That's awesome that your wife bought you a new grill. She's a keeper. Hard to tell what it is in the picture, but it looks like its big enough you could use that as a smoker, no problem at all. A lot of folks on here use only a 22" weber kettle as smoker.

Anyways.. Welcome to the asylum. If you thought you were obsessed before, wait till you've been hanging out here for a couple months!

Welcome from Warren.

This place is definitely active and check out the woodpile for some off topic fun

Welcome aboard... looks like you've had some nice cooks already, and sounds like you have the necessary addictive personality it takes to be proficiant at this crazy hobby.

You have def come to the right place. TONS of resources here to tap into for all kinds of cooking advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions, people here are more than happy to help. Welcome!

Welcome Bill, transplanted Pontiacian here.
Let the searching begin,
fatties
ABT's
Moink balls
lollipop chicken
Biscuits & gravy
50 kinds of beans
Bone marrow
yada,yada,yada
And don't forget the occasional p*ssing match settled by Mom or Dad.
Ed

Welcome Bill, transplanted Pontiacian here.
Let the searching begin,
fatties
ABT's
Moink balls
lollipop chicken
Biscuits & gravy
50 kinds of beans
Bone marrow
yada,yada,yada
And don't forget the occasional p*ssing match settled by Mom or Dad.
Ed

Intriguing :) No idea what a few of those things are lol. As time permits I plan on finding out.

Welcome to the forum,Great people here & Michigan has a lot of Very Good BBQ people & events.

welcome and enjoy your stay, check out the search function at the bottom of the page

Welcome from Farmington. If youre looking for an active and helpful forum youve come to the right place. A collection of kind people who have fun and like to share ideas.

Welcome aboard!
If you'd like to BS and learn some smoking techniques on different smokers. There are a few of us who do very large cooks for our Vets here in MI. From downtown to out your way. I know you mention grilling, but we can cover that too. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum, and the obsession!

I live in Bowling Green (about 20 miles south of Toledo), Ohio. I'd consider myself in your neck of the woods. Ypsi is only about an hour drive up 23.

This is a VERY active forum, and it's full of helpful people and TONS of information. Half the time when I have questions I can just do a forum search in the upper right and find 20 threads with the info I was looking for. If not you'll get tons of answers inside an hour with a new thread.

Welcome aboard!
If you'd like to BS and learn some smoking techniques on different smokers. There are a few of us who do very large cooks for our Vets here in MI. From downtown to out your way. I know you mention grilling, but we can cover that too. :mrgreen:

Excellent. My goal is to eventually get a smoker and start experimenting with different meats. My other hobby (poker/poker chips) eats up a lot of my hobby funds lol.

Did you serve? I served in the AF from 87-92.

Welcome from Holly. We have cooked the Sams Club event in ypsilanti a couple times and i work in Pontiac.

Did you serve? I served in the AF from 87-92.
Thank you for your service!
No, they stopped the draft 2 weeks before I was to go. I was lucky as quite a few friends of mine never made it back.

Back