The Official Humphreys Smoker photo thread

I opted for adding 2 probe ports, really I only use 1 for the pit probe for my CyberQ. The other probes just go through the door. For comps, it's so much easier this way.

One big issue with the probe ports is that they just dump smoke and it really affects your temps. Once your probe wires are through the port, use some foil to seal up the port to prevent smoke leakage. No temp issues after that.

I wish I got the umbrella holder. It would be useful since I don't have a covered patio. Don't like getting my cookers wet.

Just placed an order for a Pint from St Louis BBQ Store. Should have it by next Friday. It is Royal Blue with Textured Black doors and hardware. It has two probe ports already on it then I got the 8" casters, drop in water pan with heat diverter, t-maze, an extra rack and the pick stick. Was going to get the 8" compound legs but the salesman said they have had customers that have been having trouble with the legs and the casters locking so left those off. May fab something myself it I need to get it taller. Can't wait for it to get here and get it broke in.

Wow, quick turn around on the order. I got my DEB about a month ago. I ordered the 4 inch compound legs, but bought casters local. I did have problems with the caster locking wing interfering with the leg. I ended up buying front swivel casters from Harbor Freight that have a really nice lock, but I did have to cut the mounting plate on the caster to fit because it was not standard 4x4.5. The rear wheels are pneumatic from Menards. Works fine. The front wheels are solid rubber so they don't soak up the bumps as well as the rears.

The Pint left St Louis this morning and is supposed to be in Dallas tonight or in the morning so hopefully will have it home tomorrow night. IrishStout it was the last one they had in stock. They said they weren't expecting another shipment for 5-6 weeks so I jumped on this one.

Some pics of Mustang Sally. The name comes due to the wife loving old Mustangs and it is in Blue her favorite color. She will be in the garage until I finish my porch on the side of the house where she will reside along with my PBC and Weber Gold Touch. She has been running for 2 hours now and just up to 225°. Only using ball valve and chimney damper to control her for now so I can learn how she wants to run. Chimney is 50% and ball valve is a 50%. Started with about 8lbs of KBB and 5 fist size chunks of Pecan. Put the oiled grates in and sprayed the inside good with Pam at around 170°. Also started with a gallon of hot water in the water pan. Here in about an hour once she stabilizes good will throw on a fatty for fatties sake.:mrgreen: So far I am loving how she is operating and how well built she is.

Attachments

• 20160616_114555.jpg
    20160616_114555.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 20160616_114540.jpg
    20160616_114540.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Nice man, that looks stellar, I love that you are breaking it in already with the appropriate beverages. I have a briskie on my Pint right now. Welcome to the Humper Nation.

I had the Pint workin' it the other day for our football draft. 2 butts, 2 slabs of ribs and some smoked baked beans

D1B10F2B-0FB4-415F-91CB-1C314AC0970B_zpspahfqbk9.jpg

Awesome!

What a great thread. I love the pictures and descriptions. I am a new member and this is inspiring.

One Day!!

New guy....new Pint

Bought a Pint and love it. 1st weekend did three butts, 3 slabs of ribs, 6 spatchcocked chickens. 2nd weekend did 16 pork tenderloins and 3 spatchcocked chickens. 4th weekend did 2 slabs of ribs and a brisket. Last weekend did 2 slabs of beef ribs.

EVERYTHING turned out great. Can't wait til Saturday!

If you haven't seen it try my pork tenderloin recipe:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235890

finished_zps58tossyd.png

ribs%203%20hr_zps9fi0ouar.png

ribs%20done%203_55_zpslcmbgyuc.png

beefribs%202_zpsv62wqixv.png

I'm a real happy camper.

So, was looking at Humphreys website yesterday and noticed they had a Battle Box in stock and built just like I would have ordered. Called Chad took care of some business and hopefully it got shipped today. Can't wait to fire it up!

I got my DEB just before thanksgiving. Unlike some, I never received any emails about the start of my build, updates or any photos etc. But anyway's, I do really like this smoker. I had some issues with the Flameboss 100 but have got those worked out with some parameter changes suggested from Flameboss. I ended up making my own intake fan adapter. Just works better for me. I did purchase a BBQ Guru thru the forsale site here. And the BBQ Guru worked as it should from the get go. But the Flameboss does have some small advantages in some cases. But the Guru can be run on 12 volts when cooking off site.
I also made new cooking grates. Again, they work better, easier for my requirements. I also changed out the 8 inch caster upgrade. The original casters are closer to 8.5" actually. So if you are planning on adding new/different wheels just note that. And the axle/bolt size is 1/2" not 5/8" like most easily available 8" casters. So I ended up with dual wheels per caster, not triples due to the size difference. I planned on using the original wheels with the change. The dual wheels do make a big difference in stability of the DEB and ease of movement. I ended up having to add firebricks to the bottom of the smoke chamber to keep the lower portion of the smoker from getting 50-60 hotter than the upper section. While the smoker comes up to temp. Radiant heat.
So on to some photos of only a small part of what I have smoked so far. I have put the DEB thru alot of different temp cooks since Thanksgiving. Even in single digit temps and 30+ MPH winds.
It's a keeper!

Last edited:
Another update for those that are interested.
I made a hanging rack for the DEB. and I also made a new coal basket that I can pull out with the ash pan. Actually the coal basket now sits in/on to the ash pan. A little smaller total volume than the original coal basket and less than 1/3 the weight. So far it has worked quite well with the cooks I have done since making it. Thought I'd try out my hanging rack with some chops. I built the rack so in the future I can hang around 18 racks of baby backs and get another 4 to 6 racks below the hanging rack. More than I could do with just racks.
I put on some bacon and the chops.
Now onto the photos.

Back