venison ribs

gadgetguy

Reaction score
it's deer season folks and i got a critter at the processor as we speak. :thumb:My mom used to make these when i was a kid and they were awsome :shocked:, but they were made in an oven. I'd like to take these to the next level and cook them in my smoker. But i can't find any recipes. but i did find a marinate i may use . anyone have any tips or ideas???
Thanks in advance
HarryC

I'm no help but I'm interested. I have only cut the meat out for burger, never thought about smoking a rack.

Wait a sec - be back soon -
- I'm waiting on photobucket -
I'm the butcher of our hunts-
So we can either de-bone (Fillet)
the whole animal, or steak and chop it.
Bone-in rib chops, etc.

Here's my specialty Venison small rack:

I would suggest to stick to the basics. I smoked a shoulder last week and turned out great. Coat with olive oil,rub with S,P&G and smoke at 275 until bones wiggle loosely. Add sauce last 15 minutes if you like them sauced up.

Salt, Pepper, Oil, and Rosemary Rubbed, two bones to the rack (2 connected chops).

Wait a sec - be back soon -
- I'm waiting on photobucket -
I'm the butcher of our hunts-
So we can either de-bone (Fillet)
the whole animal, or steak and chop it.
Bone-in rib chops, etc.

Here's my specialty Venison small rack:

Wow... looks awesome

Nice work 69. Never thought of making chops. Usually rip those straps out before even considering a deer chop.

I've tried smoking the rib cage, didn't like it much, never thought to go bone in chops though (we butcher our own). Since then I normally pack the ribs to sme for my dogs, they sure like 'em.

I think the first pic was lamb, sorry.
Yummy baah baaah.
The later pics are of tasty venison.

Nice work 69. Never thought of making chops. Usually rip those straps out before even considering a deer chop.
You can do singles (too small) doubles, triples.. 1/2 or whole racks
I use a sawsall. Missed a bandsaw FREE on CL today.
I say bone-in is better, a little more forgiving..temp- wise..

When you butcher your own deer it's easy.
I like to have a table at my side.
I take the sawsall and cut off the 2 front legs.
Then I cut the shank of each, throw them on the table.
Knife through each shoulder properly and place each shoulder on the table.
Perhaps, and we are working on it, find and use the skirt and other thin meats like flank, which are really small.
Then I ask if you want chops or fillet?
More and more want bone-in chops!
So I sawsall up the backbone, divide the spine, then chop as requested across, 2 3 or the whole side intact.
After that, its the rear legs and done.

Last edited:
Hehehe I am picturing as I read. I am kinda slow at it but my FIL was a butcher, he rips through a deer real fast.

Thamks smokinitup, thats kind of what i had in mind. I have an idea in mind. I have a marinate i'm thinking of using over night. Going to smoke them an hour or so , then foiling them like i do my pork ribs. kinda thinking about drizzling some bacon grease over them before i foil. after foiling them i have my own sauce recipe thats sweet and then brings some heat. I'll let ya'll know how this works out
HarryC

Back