Brine without Salt?

vapor

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I need to smoke a turkey for the family this thanksgiving, but several of the people that will be at the meal cannot have any salt. Any ideas on what is the best way to handle this dilemma?

Thx

I'm no expert, but I think without salt there is no brine. Maybe inject with butter? Or look up that Cajun Injectors stuff? Not sure if that has salt, but it's pretty good.

Personally, I'd do 2 smaller turkeys - one with and one without salt. I know it's not an option for everybody, but that's what I'd do.

Thanks, that is great advice. Will start planning on one brined and one not brined.

Brining involves drawing moisture into the meat through osmosis...where the salt is, the water will follow. Without salt, water doesn't move into the meat. Most turkeys are already "injected with up to a xx% solution", which will list it on the package. Two turkeys is a good way to go about it. Heck, you can even compare tastes to see which one you like better. Post the results back here when you do!

i am with GTR. Or spatchcock and split into two. brine one half and not the other.

... depending on number of guests of course.

Back