Propane hole hog cooker usage

grantw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
here it is, just needs some paint, the inside is in real good shape, should i start the hog with the loins facing down, toward the heat? Its got a heat deflector the whole length of the cooker and the burner runs tge length of the cooker as well, i can manually rotate the pig so it doesnt have to stay the way it started
524EF8BD-60AA-4DD8-8F53-0552E993A480_zps1qmkqxsc.jpg

AC466C34-E804-49BA-A32C-06E7F4B71794_zps3k4sqzgu.jpg

I don't think the starting orientation makes any difference given the ability to rotate as needed.

Caution, caution, caution Wil Robinson, NO PAINT ON THE INSIDE, just season it with some food grade cooking oil.

I agree with dwfisk as far as the starting orientation not making any difference since you can rotate the pig as needed; HOWEVER, it depends on what you are desiring for a final outcome as far as how to cook the pig toward the end. If you are looking for crispy skin then you need to cook toward the end with the skin side up (alowing the grease to drain), but if you are just looking for extremely moist meat without regard to the skin, then cook mostly with the skin side down.

Alrighty, guess I'll have to find an excuse to cook a few hogs this season, after I get it purdied up

Nice cooker! do you have any pics of the drain system and the propane element in the bottom of the cooker?

Here is the slide and burner, the slide is on an angle and the grease goes out a pipe on one end

C1A30ABB-3314-4BB7-94FC-8B3914DE7FBC_zpslxjlzps8.jpg

AD32971E-EDAB-4D2A-8E6C-344C056FA2BC_zpslgu8qjhw.jpg

Back