• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brine Question

Lockon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How long do you usually brine a turkey? I am smoking two this Sunday and wondering if I should start the brine Friday night, Saturday morning, or Saturday night?

I use 12 to 15 pound turkeys and I brine them for up to 2 days.

Woha!!!!....these are 18-19 lbs.....If I get them in the brine Friday night will they get enough brine? I was worried about over brining :twitch:

Normally 12 hours is sufficient, but longer should not hurt anything. It will only effect change in the turkey just so much and then it will just sit and relax in its watery grave until you pull it out. Be sure and keep it cold while it takes its bath.

Blessings,

Omar

I prefer to do 24 hours with my turkey brine baths, but sometimes with time constraints they have brined with only 12 - 18 hours with great results.

I agree with "Retired Trucker", they must be kept cold (below 4o degrees) for food safety. If you can't refrigerate, put the brine bag into a cooler of ice overnight.

Agree 12+ and 24 works just fine. I inject the brine and then also soak

+1 for the two day brine time.

The strength of your brine mixture will have a direct impact on the time you will need to brine,IMHO.

The recommended brine time is an hour per pound for whole birds followed by an hour per pound equalization time.

The recommended brine time is an hour per pound for whole birds followed by an hour per pound equalization time.

Ron, I guess I don't understand what you mean by "equalzation time?" Are you saying 2 hours per pound in the brine or 1 hour per pound in the brine and 1 hour per pound rinsed, patted dry, and rest in the fridge?

Ron, I guess I don't understand what you mean by "equalzation time?" Are you saying 2 hours per pound in the brine or 1 hour per pound in the brine and 1 hour per pound rinsed, patted dry, and rest in the fridge?

One hour per pound, rinse, and then let it sit in the fridge for another hour per pound. This give the juices in the meat time to equalize the salt level and pull the residual salt deeper into the meat.

BTW, if you want to read more than most people care to read about brines, I posted a bunch of info here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2605812&postcount=2

Also, Smokin' Okie's Brining 101 is a great reference...

Brining 101 PDF & Turkey 101 PDF

And there is a bunch of info in this thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119611

Back