Camp Cooking

Larred

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
4 Day Weekend of Camping, Planning on Pork Back Ribs, Boneless Prime Rib. Open Fire, Any advice on Rubs, or Times & Temps. Have Rotisserie & Ribolator. Never have done either of these.

I got a buddy who brings his green mountain pellet smoker and hooks it up to a car battery. He has done some nice stuff on it.

Temps you're gonna have a tough time with as you know maintaining anything perfect...best you can do is some wide temp ranges but that's the beauty of going with over a fire.

My invention on the ribs isn't ready the big stage but what you can do is just weave one or two racks on a spit rod. Don't worry about the temps, anything 500-600* or below will do fantastic but try to avoid the inferno.

Same goes for the boneless pork rib...I have something for that just not now but you can go on the spit. I'd just try to get to a good coal base and spin away, just make sure to pull off at the right temp... Take a good instant read with you.

Man that camping sounds like a good time...been kicking around doing a weekend myself. Keith

Do you have a good way to take off the membrane on the ribs. Heard about this.

Also my Boneless Ribeye will be Beef. Like a prime rib with out bones.Also going to do some wings again.

Last edited:
Do you have a good way to take off the membrane on the ribs. Heard about this.

Also my Boneless Ribeye will be Beef. Like a prime rib with out bones.Also going to do some wings again.

Wings do some in a roti basket, they are the BEST that way...I usually baste with something like a teriyaki toward the end.

Ribs over a fire i NEVER pull the membrane, there has been no sign of it when eating. I score it diagonal both directions, rub with olive oil and that's it. The ribs stay moist and and the membrane goes bye bye sometime during the cook.

Larred, are you talking campfire cooking or cooking in a drum? There is a big difference.

On the rib membrane, start in the middle rather than the end and it is much easier to get a grip on it and pull it off.

Some additional items I would recommend:
Heavy duty aluminum foil
High quality butter
Large onions
Large potatoes
A large apparatus to be able to snag and manipulate items in and out of the fire. Oh and don't forget the Crystal HS and Slap Ya Mamma.
Have fun!

Last edited:
You are set!

And Cowgirl is the Queen of cooking in a tractor wheel

Back