I know they say 'keep Austin weird' but this is crazy

Denver and San Francisco are other cities where a few folks want to tell everyone how their tail ought to lay.

lived in Houston/Austin for 33 years. Very surprising to hear people venting about Austin. Easily the best city in TX :thumb:

District 3 council member Sabino "Pio" Renteria is writing the book on how to not get reelected.

District 3 council member Sabino "Pio" Renteria is writing the book on how to not get reelected.

Yeah- when you are on the wrong side of BBQ in Austin TX, it's not going to end well for you. This ordinance is a turd. So lazy and poorly constructed. This leaves it wide open for your neighbor to complain about your webber down the road. It makes no distinction between a hibachi grill burning 4 hours on the weekend in a food cart and 5- 1000 gallon smokers burning a cord of wood 24x6. I have no problem with that either but the way this is written is a joke. I get why the neighbors are pissed but they are just going to have take one for the team on this one and leave Franklin alone.

I haven't had the pleasure of eating barbeque in Austin yet, but I think it boils down to "who was there first". If you build a house next to an existing restaurant you should've known better and have no rights. If the restaurant moves into a neighborhood and offends the neighborhood then the restaurant needs to move or change. It seems simple to me. Since the city allowed Franklin to move in there in the first place maybe they should offer him incentives to move. I hate politics, but I love smoked meat.

Yeah- when you are on the wrong side of BBQ in Austin TX, it's not going to end well for you. This ordinance is a turd. So lazy and poorly constructed. This leaves it wide open for your neighbor to complain about your webber down the road. It makes no distinction between a hibachi grill burning 4 hours on the weekend in a food cart and 5- 1000 gallon smokers burning a cord of wood 24x6. I have no problem with that either but the way this is written is a joke. I get why the neighbors are pissed but they are just going to have take one for the team on this one and leave Franklin alone.
Yeah, when I first moved to Central Texas during the early 90s from the Houston area I LOVED Austin's culture and personality as the city that had the feel of a big/small town but over the last 15 years or so there's been a LOT of changes in Austin that has put a damper on the local businesses and the city is losing a lot of what makes it unique. They've been getting ridiculous about the noise ordinances around the live music venues, taxing businesses to the point of them going out of business and now they're going after people or businesses that make too much wood smoke,... it's a real shame. Austin used to be the coolest city in Texas and the best in the state for going out and finding entertainment but it's being lost. Austin is no longer the same place that Willie Nelson came to, loved and made his home back in the 70s!:tsk:
My opinion is that Austin is a city with a personality that is all about eating, drinking and live music and people should realize that before they buy a house in the down town area. IF YOU DON"T LIKE LOUD MUSIC AND BBQ SMOKE,... DON'T LIVE IN DOWN TOWN AUSTIN!!!:wink:

Yeah, when I first moved to Central Texas during the early 90s from the Houston area I LOVED Austin's culture and personality as the city that had the feel of a big/small town but over the last 15 years or so there's been a LOT of changes in Austin that has put a damper on the local businesses and the city is losing a lot of what makes it unique. They've been getting ridiculous about the noise ordinances around the live music venues, taxing businesses to the point of them going out of business and now they're going after people or businesses that make too much wood smoke,... it's a real shame. Austin used to be the coolest city in Texas and the best in the state for going out and finding entertainment but it's being lost. Austin is no longer the same place that Willie Nelson came to, loved and made his home back in the 70s!:tsk:
My opinion is that Austin is a city with a personality that is all about eating, drinking and live music and people should realize that before they buy a house in the down town area. IF YOU DON"T LIKE LOUD MUSIC AND BBQ SMOKE,... DON'T LIVE IN DOWN TOWN AUSTIN!!!:wink:

willie still has a ranch in austin and spends about half the year there.

willie still has a ranch in austin and spends about half the year there.
Yeah, when he's not sleeping one off in his car on the side of the highway! LOL!:p
The guy is an icon and if it were up to Austinites he'd be President of the United States!:wink: I think it was about 10 or 15 years ago when the IRS came after him, took all of his stuff to auction it off, at which time all of his friends bought the stuff and then gave it back to him!LOL!!!:clap2::laugh: It'll be a really sad day when ol' Willie passes away,... I've got a bottle of his small batch bourbon called "Old Whiskey River" and on the day of his passing I'm going to break the seal on it.:thumb:
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=87&task=displaybottling

Yeah, when he's not sleeping one off in his car on the side of the highway! LOL!:p
The guy is an icon and if it were up to Austinites he'd be President of the United States!:wink: I think it was about 10 or 15 years ago when the IRS came after him, took all of his stuff to auction it off, at which time all of his friends bought the stuff and then gave it back to him!LOL!!!:clap2::laugh: It'll be a really sad day when ol' Willie passes away,... I've got a bottle of his small batch bourbon called "Old Whiskey River" and on the day of his passing I'm going to break the seal on it.:thumb:
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=87&task=displaybottling

that's awesome. he's an icon indeed. if he had ever ran for prez, he might have actually gotten elected. hahaha.

Back