10-lb Boston Butt

...Dave

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
when should i begin and how often should i apple juice spritz? sorry i forgot what you guys told me last time and i didnt find it in my notes.

fLzMoMSCvgGLfrMoaI8ag0iBQRGbjCuwx6DPldKM8cU=w648-h486-no

As soon as possible if you want it for dinner. I spritz at the 3 hour mark and then maybe every hour. You may want to wrap in foil at 4-5 hours to get it done for dinner.

When to start depends on when you intend to eat, I reckon.

I did a 10lb butt last weekend, it went for ~10 hours at ~275° to an internal temp of 196°. No spritzing. Then rested in a cooler overnight and served for lunch the next day. It was pretty much perfect.

plan: using the wsm 18 @ 250 -275 internal from around 195 to 205, going on a minimum of 10hr smoke, could go as long as 12 though, then a wrap and rest for hour, last time i did this it was really good, i remember and noted everything but the spritz routine, 3hr in then every hour sounds good .. thx

Cutting it in half won't necessarily cut down cooking time that much.

Spritzing is a personal decision. Myself and many others around here believe that opening the cooker to spritz for the sake of spritzing increases cook times and doesn't add that much. Spritzing for flavor I can see. Spritzing for moisture is a complete waste of time since most bbq cuts have plenty of internal moisture that gets released during the rendering process.

If you are fairly new at this hobby, I'd suggest you keep it as simple as possible. Cook the meat till it's done :)

Once you've got that mastered, then you can start to experiment with all the extra steps that some people like to use. Foiling a butt when the color is looking about right is one thing that you could try right away.

If you do decide to spritz, you'll want to make sure the bark is set beforehand so you don't wash off any of the rub.

Well, I like to give myself at least 1.5 hr to the pound on my WSM. I usually cook at 225, but if I'm in a hurry I run at 250. I use thermometers and like my butts from 190-200. Final call comes down to feel. If the bone wants to pull or you can stick a fork in and turn it 180 degrees it's ready to pull.

Like most big chunks of meat, butts seem to get hung up in the 160-170 temp range. It can take hours to push through those temps. If you are in a time crunch that's a good point to foil.

I like to pull butts off one to two hours before I serve them. That time frame also gives me a margin for error in making dinner time. I foil, wrap in a towel, and place them in a clean dry cooler. Letting them rest in a hot box seems to increase quality. Pull just before serving.

Spritz the meat every 1.5-2 hours. Keep in mind that will add "sweat" and slightly increase cook time ( plus heat lost from opening up grill). Adjust as needed.

Hope this helps!

Also, as others have mentioned. You might want to forgo adding moisture for time sake.When I spritz its usually because I'm trying to draw out the cooking process...trying to keep it low and slow.

I spritz after the first hr with martinellis apple juice, wooster, & cider vinegar. I dont see much of an added cook time or heat loss as i usually go hot and fast around 300*. I personally think the juice helps carmelize a little better, but to each their own.

i think somethings wrong, at 7 hrs in mav probe says 194, i didnt believe it so i checked with thermapen and sure enough its at 194. temps have held nicely between 250-275 except for 1 spike to 300 early on

should i get ready to wrap and rest this soon? figured on at least 3 more hours but i doubt thats going to happen.

SE0nOg1s-LOQlVVbEdkxMfj7SrxKFRt_5ILtqfVmhi0=w648-h486-no

Does your bone have much wiggle? I usually go 200 -205

Does your bone have much wiggle? I usually go 200 -205

havent done wiggle test yet, going to go to about 205 then test, sitting at 199 right now, been almost 8 hrs so it can go for a bit longer

callin it good, just under 8.5 hrs w/ 1st action shot of my new thermapen :becky:

ffNYXTWLZoSEkBiUbIu82flMVZRNjDaIc16kPlYQQ9k=w648-h486-no

and if you look real close you can see my lid on the ground, it fell off my table and i said a cussy word real loud after that happened :oops:

Looks like you've got some nice bark on that butt.

Give her a nice nap in the cooler before you pull it apart.

Dinner's going to be tasty tonight!

On a wrapping note, I typically have to crunch the butts in order to minimize having a 15+ hour cook. Glad you got through it in a reasonable amount of time, that was smart to cut them in half.

after 3hr wrap and was still dam hot, had to use forks to pull apart, but pork fell right off the bone. ill sauce a little as needed instead of the whole pan full this time. getting better at these for sure, thanks for the help everybody :thumb:

yMLHbazwuvRUVunUPMMssFqTpE2cXN5j8EJCOayi9Ck=w648-h486-no

7wB-R97NWHjWWauiXFv-ItffnyukLbIpIzbLcOdBp3Y=w350-h300-no

Back