Dealing with a neighbor over BBQ smoke

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just read the "Our hobby in jeopardy thread"...wow! I had a neighbor who used to complain about smoke from my pit, even though it only lasted about 30 minutes (thin blue after that). I know she likes barbecue, so I told her whenever she sees smoke she is welcome to throw something on. She took me up on it and now the smoke doesn't bother her a bit. I know you can't fight city hall, but if it's just a neighbor, you can usually work it out if you try.

every time my neighbor sees me prepping he runs right over to see if their will be any free space on the racks available :-D

i too just acquired a neighbor that i now cook for whenever i fire up the smoker. i think im going to have to start charging him for the real estate rental haha

Funny this came up. I just got a text from my neighbor asking when I was going to be firing up the Hasty again. Her family loves when I cook. Their 4 boys gather around, ask questions and help me sample the crispy goodness.

A few plates of this or that to the neighbors, including home made bacon, keeps things going smooth. Works out well for me too - I get great Mexican food from one set of neighbors and fresh or smoked fish from another set. The only thing that bugs me is I can smell some awesome food smoking up the street on a regular basis and I can't figure out which house it is. :noidea:

Yes, lots of love from my neighbors. It helps to cook for them and/or send over a plate of food on Sunday. My wife and I can't eat 15 lb's. of brisket, so we invite our friends and neighbors.

Even my veggie neighbor comments on how much she loves the smell of my grill. Ohh, I'll get her to turn toward the dark side... oh yes I will. :icon_devil

Maybe it's a cold weather climate thing, but people who are used to freezing temps generally enjoy the smell of burning wood. Walking around Door county WI or Newport RI in December with all the fireplaces and wood burning stoves is intoxicating.

If you have a neighbor like that most of the time it's not the BBQ smoke that is bothering them. It's something more important, like loneliness or some other life issue that has brought them sadness or pain.

And what's better medicine for loneliness than an invitation? Even if they say "no" it should help, if not cure, whatever ails. BBQ (not necessarily a quick grill) should be a party anyway.

no neighbors but when ever meats on sale the guys at work give me cash and i'll pick some up for them. I keep it in my freezer and when I have a cook going i'll throw their meat on. last time butts were on for $1.29 I picked up 6 for one guy cooked the last one two weeks ago.

If you have a neighbor like that most of the time it's not the BBQ smoke that is bothering them. It's something more important, like loneliness or some other life issue that has brought them sadness or pain.

Or perhaps just the large quantity of smoke coming out of his backyard as evidenced on video. There's a difference between BBQ'ing and pouring smoke out. When's the last time your BBQ put out so much thick white smoke that it traveled across the street easily?

Or perhaps just the large quantity of smoke coming out of his backyard as evidenced on video. There's a difference between BBQ'ing and pouring smoke out. When's the last time your BBQ put out so much thick white smoke that it traveled across the street easily?

On occasion I've had thick smoke at startup ...this 7 sec video covers a 1:05 timeframe and It appears to dissipate to me, but what do I know?

[ame]http://youtu.be/gokOf6K6RZU[/ame]

I've been watching all these threads in amazement! I just give my neighbors a choice......LOUD MUSIC, or a little, sweet smelling BBQ smoke. They opt for the latter. Even show up with an empty plate. :becky::thumb:

[ame]http://youtu.be/ug7ZZHy2waA[/ame]

I used to use stubb's briqs all the time but found a cleaner burning all natural briq. stubb's can blow some thick nasty smoke at startup. the wife and kids didn't like it at all. once it gets going its fine but I was afraid the neighbors would eventually say something. Probably more me just being paranoid.:tsk:

I used to use stubb's briqs all the time but found a cleaner burning all natural briq. stubb's can blow some thick nasty smoke at startup. the wife and kids didn't like it at all. once it gets going its fine but I was afraid the neighbors would eventually say something. Probably more me just being paranoid.:tsk:

I agree about the puffy start up smoke. What brand did you switch too? I love when my neighbors cook. One time i said hey sorry if there's smoke coming by your house and he said NA don't worry it makes me hungry haha. Dude is awesome.

I agree about the puffy start up smoke. What brand did you switch too? I love when my neighbors cook. One time i said hey sorry if there's smoke coming by your house and he said NA don't worry it makes me hungry haha. Dude is awesome.

Awesome neighbor. HEB All Natural Briquettes but you can only get it central and southern parts of Texas.

Awesome neighbor. HEB All Natural Briquettes but you can only get it central and southern parts of Texas.

Yea probably won't be able to grab those any time soon haha! I hear that trader joes make a decent briquette.

I have great neighbors. To that end, when there was a complaint, I said to them, let's figure out a solution. The key is that we were on good terms to begin with. I have one neighbor on this street, that in 11 years, we have not exchanged one hello. I tried and got nada. So be it. If he decided to complain, I suspect that my response would not be so open. Still, hostility is usually met with hostility.

Back